View ~ rotate around

Next
Hi,

This is not easy to explain, but will try,

When modeling, due to fact I need to zoom in a lot to select etc, I find while zooming in (3d view) the zoom will suddenly slow down, and/ or when zoom made, when I rotate, instead of the expected rotate around object/ center, I find that the rotate is around tripod (the camera rotates on pivot) or rotates on some distant object.

Is this some problem others have seen?

- Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1565.2 In reply to 1565.1 
Hi Steve, this generally means that your zoom approached close to the pivot point.

When that happens, MoI will slide the pivot point forward along that direction so that you can continue moving forward. It is difficult to get the traveling speed completely the same when it switches gears into "slide forward" mode, that is likely to be the kind of speed change that you are experiencing there.

I added this "slide forward" mode into MoI to solve the problem in Rhino where zooming in the 3d view only approaches the pivot point and never goes past it - this tends to cause a confusing kind of "halt point" where you can only come up close to the pivot and never go past it to something on the other side, no matter how much you keep zooming in.

You can set the pivot point to a specific point by using the "Area" zoom button on the bottom of a viewport - that center point that you click for that zoom rectangle will become the rotational pivot point. Also if you want to get it to the center of a selected object, then Reset will do that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael. Actually in Rhino there are 2 types of zoom. CTRL+RMB crawls toward the target point. And ALT+RMB zooms right through it. Using 2 different modifiers might be a good idea in MoI also. And maybe dragging on the Zoom icon with LMB or RMB can give 2 different zoom methods?

jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1565.4 In reply to 1565.3 
Hi Jonah, well the tricky part is in MoI the main zoom method with the mouse is the scroll wheel, not Ctrl+RMB. I did also add in Ctrl+RMB so that people familiar with Rhino would feel more at home. (also Ctrl + Alt + LMB for people familiar with some other apps too)

I don't really think that a different modifier key is the best solution. When you get a lot of them, it is just not very easy to remember all of them and also it is not at all obvious to a beginning user that there is a big difference between using Ctrl or Alt to do 2 different styles of zooming.

I'm sure that you have seen that there continues to be questions on the Rhino newsgroup about hitting that "zoom wall" - that's definitely a sign that having an different Alt method for dollying is not obvious enough for people to pick up on.

That's why I developed MoI's solution to this, so that the standard zoom mechanism will not hit that wall and stop.

It isn't 100% perfect since it does have that kind of speed change in it, but it does the basic job of letting you "get over there" instead of stopping in place.

I was thinking that right-click and drag on the zoom icon would give a different zoom method, but I was thinking of making it adjust the perspective view angle instead of moving the camera point.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All