Layers in v2?
All  1-13  14-16

Previous
Next
1564.14 In reply to 1564.12 
"I really want to get some of the functionality for layers, grouping, and named selection sets all within one object management interface instead of having 3 separate mechanisms for those things."

I wish you the best for this... If you make it work, it will be the greatest thing Moi has.... I wouldn't mind having all of them... In future releases, you will probably add to import options, so an obj file can be handled with named objects and groups and selection sets, while an Autocad file or similar, could be easily manipulated using just layers. You will probably have to recognize all of them... Rhino for example, has a great list of import options.

I am sure you will find a nice way to do things, again....
***Modeling Of Ideas***
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1564.15 In reply to 1564.14 
Hi JTB, yeah I think it should be able to work with imported traditional "layer" data from AutoCAD (or actually Rhino's layers are the same too).

I mean there will be a lot of similarities to layers, it will be a way to assign objects to a certain kind of "tag" which is kind of the basic element of how layers work.

The main difference will be that you won't be forced to only assign an object to a single "tag", which is normally the big limitation with traditional layers where each object has a property of which layer it is on, and it can only be on just one.

I'd like to make it so that objects can belong to different "tags" instead of only just one.

With a little bit of additional support in the UI I think this same method will work for grouping - a group would be a tag that you create and then set an option on the tag for "Select as one".

Also somewhere in the UI I'll try to make it easy to click something to select all the objects on a certain tag - I think that should let it work as a named selection set as well.

So the idea is to have something more flexible than layers, and also incorporate named selection sets, and grouping all in the same interface instead of as totally separate concepts.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1564.16 In reply to 1564.15 
Someone can hook your crazzy ideas ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-13  14-16