Problem with filleting (again) [Modeling Pot de cuisine)

Next
http://forum.steph3d.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=ca6b502625f4d9d0e820bc3a82219079&topic=309.0

I tried to follow this tutorial, but i fail in the beginning.

Two rectangles are set up and a ball. The three objects are merged and not needed parts are deleted. After this the remaining circles are filleted.
And here comes the problem. If i merge them the circles are not fully closed. The pic shows what i mean. No problem, i thought and marked and joined them. So far so good, but when im now trying to fillet the circle, it wont!
In the tutorial the circles are not parted. Why are they parted here in my file?

EDit:

Shortly tested: If i join the parted circles, a copy of the joined circle is created, which of course cant be filleted. So i delete the circle but then the cirlce on the object is still parted and cant be filleted.
So i deleted the circle plane and replaned and joined it and it was possible to fillet but trying it again on the other side didnt work.

Main question is: Why cant the sides by filleted when merging a ball with rectangles?

EDITED: 18 Apr 2008 by PEBBL

Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 147.7 KB, Downloaded: 22 times, Dimensions: 1448x874px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1556.2 In reply to 1556.1 
Hi sayd,

At the stage you are showing, when making the fillets, dont select any edges, just select the model and then fillet, it will fillet all edges.

- Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1556.3 In reply to 1556.2 
I tried that but it didnt do anything. Selected all faces but nothing.

Now i tried to fillet one by one. And it worked! even the parted ones. But the last face ( the face in the front of the 3rd screen was really strange. Filleting at 1 didnt show anything, only a 1,1 showed a fillet) Really strange.

Lol manz, i guess im too stupid. Now i tried it again. Created everything again, and now it works -_-;

EDITED: 18 Apr 2008 by PEBBL

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1556.4 In reply to 1556.3 
Hi sayd, one other thing that can happen with fillets is that they won't be generated if there isn't room for them to fit.

Sometimes it is easy to mis-judge what size will fit. So if you are running into problems you might try dropping the fillet radius down in stages, maybe try a smaller value like 0.1 or 0.05 and see if those work, and then you can try larger values until you find the spot where it won't fit anymore.

If you have your original model that had the problem in it, can you please post it here? I can then take a look at it and see if there was something in the model that was preventing filleting from happening, or if it was a bug in the filleting.

Also, it would really make it easier to answer questions if you could post the .3dm model file with the objects that you are having problems with instead of just a screenshot - it is a lot easier to examine the model to see what is happening.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1556.5 In reply to 1556.4 
Problem solved michael, it somehow worked well when i tried it again.

Heres a screen. I made the metal closing but i deleted all the lines and circles so i had to do it new and well it didnt work out so i erased it. Will finish it sometimes. But this tutorial teached me alot.
Image Attachments:
Size: 121.6 KB, Downloaded: 40 times, Dimensions: 1440x866px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All