Plaited Rope
All  1  2-9

Previous
Next
1523.2 In reply to 1523.1 
I was hoping someone would come up with an easier way to make this rope?

And, especially, with a smaller file size!

Any ideas very welcome.

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1523.3 In reply to 1523.2 
Hi Brian, if you're doing a rendering of the rope you might try using one single tube that then has texture maps (and possibly bump / displacement maps) added to it to give it a braided appearance.

Detailed modeling of each little bump in the braid will produce a high file size - highly detailed model construction just naturally generates large file size to go along with the high details.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1523.4 In reply to 1523.3 
Thanks Michael.
But the problem is of the very big file size, in any format, before getting anywhere close to a rendering situation.

In a real 3D situation the rope would have to be made longer, bent, twirled etc, etc, and, ---then---rendered!

It may be one of those too hard things. I have not actually seen a plaited rope anywhere before.

The sheets on a boat that are attached to all the sails----just think of the miles! of cordage!

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1523.5 In reply to 1523.4 
Hi Brian,

you wrote:
> But the problem is of the very big file size, in any format, before
> getting anywhere close to a rendering situation.

What if you use a more simple non-twisted tube for each of these ropes?

I mean something that looks just like a smooth pipe or cylinder with no twisting or braiding in it at all.

Does that create a smaller file size?

If so, then that is one way to reduce file size - use a more simple object structure for your rope, and then give it the illusion of more detail by applying texture maps, bump maps, or displacement map type materials inside the rendering program rather than explicit modeling of all those details.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1523.6 In reply to 1523.5 
Thanks. To get the "real" effect you really need displacment mapping (for closeups) and for that which also adds to file size.
Anyway, will investigate the bump/image approach some more. I have lots (umpteen!) of shader room weave type plugins but none suitable for this particular plaited need.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1523.7 In reply to 1523.6 
Hi Brian,

> To get the "real" effect you really need displacment mapping
> (for closeups) and for that which also adds to file size.

For most renderers, a displacement map is only applied during render time to create more detailed objects just in memory. It should not normally increase the size of the file on just on disk (but I suppose this is possible if your software happens to work that way...)

But anyway, I'd think that it would be a pretty unusual shot to be really close up to a rope... If you really did want to do a closeup on one rope, then it would probably work ok to do a detailed model of just that piece and then do texture mapping for all the other ones.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1523.8 In reply to 1523.7 
As a once Pro photographer, AND a keelboat owning sailor--and my favourite 14mm lens on the camera, coiled rope right in the very foreground of the shot was --should I say ,"essential"? (And now I struggle and puff to get to answer the front door!---)

I have a plugin shader question, asked of the weave shader maker, on the go.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1523.9 In reply to 1523.4 
As Michael said, something like this can (and should) be done as a single tubular surface with displacement/normal mapping. The results are 100% believable and much more easy to deal with for your system. Only a madman would attempt to use thousands of feet of modeled rope in an animation. That being said, carry on with your modeling! :)

jonah

EDIT - Here is a starting point for you to make modeled rope. Select the two clover profiles, then sweep them along the two helices...

EDITED: 8 Apr 2008 by JBSHORTY

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-9