Merge edge

Next
Hi Michael,

I did not see this on the wishlist.

Could you possibly add the ability to merge edges (I know there is the join, but that simply copies the edges then creates a joined polyline).
It can be a problem with having broken edges on a split/boolean surface as these cause the problem of not being able to make a good/constant blend from those edges.

A simple example would be a constructed polyline that then splits/trims a surface, the join/seams of the constructed polyline are passed to the surface:-

Now I know that is a very simple example,...... the main problems arise when construction of surface with a large number of splits/trims (such as example on a car), and then finding broken/split edges where a blend is required.

- Steve

EDITED: 3 Aug 2009 by MANZ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1518.2 In reply to 1518.1 
Hi Steve, here is a discussion about new Merge command generally - http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1041.1 - I think Michael is still going to do some work on it for V2... -Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1518.3 In reply to 1518.1 
Like Petr mentions, currently the plan is to make a separate Merge command which on curves will fuse 2 curves into one smooth segment instead of what Join does, and then have it also work on edges to fuse edges together.

Do you guys think it would be better if Join on edges did this merging operation instead of what it currently does?

Sometimes the current behavior can be useful, for example making a sweep rail from a bunch of edges you can just select them and use Join currently to make that happen in one step, so that's one reason why I'm thinking it should be separate.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1518.4 In reply to 1518.3 
hi all

Do you guys think it would be better if Join on edges did this merging operation instead of what it currently does?

I think join edge off a surface should use join comand if somebody whant copy off it just use copy and paste simple and keep it simple

ps : offset comand also make copy

i think new icon is last option

join surface or merge surface to one single surface maybe join comand with option if you select 2 surfaces
1 -join to polysurface (default) or
2- merge to one surface--->option tangency!!

EDITED: 4 Apr 2008 by BLYESS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1518.5 In reply to 1518.3 
Hi Michael,

>>>currently the plan is to make a separate Merge command which on curves will fuse 2 curves into one smooth segment instead of what Join does, and then have it also work on edges to fuse edges together.

For the curves, that would be equivalent to the "match" command in Rhino, so would there be sub_options, such as "continuity" "preserve other end"?

>>>Do you guys think it would be better if Join on edges did this merging operation instead of what it currently does?

I was a little surprised at what "join" did on surface edge, as I think of it more of a copy_edge function rather than a join.

I just need to be able to merge/join a surface edge, mainly at this point for later blending.

- Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1518.6 In reply to 1518.3 
I think the joining shouldn't confuse with merging process. When you join some parts you should be able to separate (disjoint) it later. On the other hand, Merge command will fuse given parts together, so you won't be able to separate it in the same spot easily or to snap to interior "vertices" of joined curves....

Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1518.7 In reply to 1518.4 
Hi lyes,

> I think join edge off a surface should use join comand if
> somebody whant copy off it just use copy and paste simple
> and keep it simple

Actually right now it does go through the same steps as join on curves, its just that one stage is different since the edge can't be deleted.

The normal process for join is that a new curve is created from the segments of the input curves, and then the original input curves are deleted.

When the curves are edge curves, everything proceeds the same as normal curves, until that final deletion step, it skips that step for edge curves since it isn't generally allowed to just delete any edge of a surface because it would form invalid unclosed trimming loops.

In general edge curves can be used same as "standalone" curves for most operations, like extruding, sweeping them, lofting, as cutting objects, etc... - right now Join is just acting like everything else and allowing edges to be used same as regular curves, it just does not perform the invalid deletion step.

> i think new icon is last option

Yeah, actually I don't plan to have the Merge command as another icon at the same level as Join. I'm going to try to find some kind of sub-menu that will allow me to add in a bunch of "advanced" editing commands without adding clutter to the top level most frequently used type stuff. Currently I'm thinking this will be some kind of edit menu on the object properties panel that will show up when you select objects when you are outside of a command, but that whole piece has not been designed yet though.

> join surface or merge surface to one single surface maybe join comand
> with option if you select 2 surfaces
> 1 -join to polysurface (default) or
> 2- merge to one surface--->option tangency!!

One problem with adding options is it means that there would be an extra step for all Join uses.

Right now you select things, run Join, and then it's done. In order to manipulate options, I have to add an additional stage where the options are shown and waits for you to change them, which means an extra right-click or push of the "Done" button for everything even if you don't want to change the options.

That's one reason why it is not always easy for me to add options into an existing command unless it already has an options stage in it...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1518.8 In reply to 1518.5 
Hi Steve,

> For the curves, that would be equivalent to the "match" command
> in Rhino, so would there be sub_options, such as "continuity"
> "preserve other end"?

I guess so... I haven't quite figured out if all of "Merge" and "Match" should be all combined together or not yet.

In Rhino just from the way things pieced together, there is a MergeEdge and MergeSrf, but no plain "Merge" for curves... Then separately there is Match for curves, and MatchSrf for surfaces.

It might make sense in MoI to have this boil down to 2 different commands - Merge that works on curves (no continuity options, just makes it one fully smooth segment), edges that are tangent, and surfaces, and then a Match (with continuity options here) that works on curves and surfaces for editing their shape but keeping them separate objects...

If it is all combined into one single command, it will be difficult to label the MatchSrf functionality because editing a surface to make it smooth to another one does not really fit so great with the term "Merge".

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1518.9 In reply to 1518.8 
Hi Michael,

>>>In Rhino just from the way things pieced together, there is a MergeEdge and MergeSrf, but no plain "Merge" for curves... Then separately there is Match for curves, and MatchSrf for surfaces.

Rhino will not allow the merging of lines/curves unless the curvature is correct, that is why the option to merge curves is a sub_option of match.

>>>It might make sense in MoI to have this boil down to 2 different commands - Merge that works on curves (no continuity options, just makes it one fully smooth segment), edges that are tangent, and surfaces, and then a Match (with continuity options here) that works on curves and surfaces for editing their shape but keeping them separate objects...

I think it could be a little unpredictable to have a Merge that is going to adjust both curves automatically, but I will wait and see what you come up with.

- Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All