Booloean Problem Closed
 1-13  14-22

Previous
Next
The curious thing is that now I can't remake the bug! All works fine for me! ???
Is the first file change?
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1504.15 In reply to 1504.14 
Hi Pilou - remember that if you load the saved file the bug doesn't happen anymore, it is only when you draw the objects brand new in the particular viewports.

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1504.16 In reply to 1504.15 
I have been trying to repeat my problem, starting with empty scenes.

No way I can get the problem to happen again!

A Correction!
If I try to build the exercise in the Right pane I can repeat the problem, but not if I work in the Front pane?!!

EDITED: 28 Mar 2008 by BWTR

More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1504.17 In reply to 1504.13 
Hi Michael,

>>>But unfortunately due to the nature of geometry, I have not been able to manually test every single combination of every single geometric shape combined together, there is just too much variation.

I thought the beta testers would of done most combinations.

>>>I'm not sure exactly what you expect for me to have done, I mean do you expect for me to have manually drawn every single possible rotational alignment between a cylinder and a sphere in my own testing?

Possibly 4, one in each view.

>>>The difference is that I tend to draw these in the 3D view

It is not always easy to use the 3d view for some construction.

>>>In fact, I'm a bit confused - have you run into the problem at all on your own, or just when you experimented with the specific example?

Yup, on the chess piece. I was having a number of problems attempting to boolean out sweep solids.

>>>During a beta release period it is a lot easier for me to slip in bug fixes more rapidly.... I think I've already explained this before.

But you say this is a problem with the library and not in your own code, so how could you fix this anyway?

>>>If you are unhappy with the quality of the product or with my release policy, then I can certainly refund your money if you would prefer to switch to a different product.

So I have to be completely happy and not question, or take a refund and go away?

-Steve
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1504.18 In reply to 1504.17 
> I thought the beta testers would of done most combinations.

Nope, that turned out not to be the case.

> Possibly 4, one in each view.

Nope, the way I test is more like drawing simple models through many steps, not just repeating one step over and over again from different views.

The method that I use tends to be more helpful for the "big picture" because it lets me test and experience the overall workflow of MoI.

It is funny that you would think I have never used or tested MoI, if you only knew the huge amount of time I have spent doing just that...

If I had an unlimited amount of time, I would be able to test each step of every model in every viewport like you want me to. But I'm limited to only 24 hours in a day.

> Yup, on the chess piece. I was having a number of problems
> attempting to boolean out sweep solids.

Why do you think these problems you found were the same as this bug?

You say you had a sweep instead of a sphere and a cylinder? And did your problem disappear when you saved and reloaded the model?

If you can post your model it would help me to determine if you hit this bug or some other one.

> But you say this is a problem with the library and not in your own
> code, so how could you fix this anyway?

I have the source code for the library and I can make fixes myself in certain circumstances (and have done so). But the more complicated a piece is (like fillets and booleans), the more difficult it is for me to do this instead of the library's authors.

Sometimes it is also possible for me to solve a problem by incorporating a workaround more directly into the code that calls the library instead of making you do it as an individual step yourself.

> So I have to be completely happy and not question, or take a refund and go away?

I welcome questions, and especially feedback and bug reports that help to improve the product. What I don't welcome is repeating the same answer about my release schedule 50 times.

It just seems like you are quite unhappy with the product (or is it all software in general?) - if that is the case I can give you a refund instead of prolonging your bad experience with it.

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1504.19 In reply to 1504.18 
>>>What I don't welcome is repeating the same answer about my release schedule 50 times.

You have repeated this 50 times where?

>>>It just seems like you are quite unhappy with the product (or is it all software in general?)

No, just your attitude towards bug reports, and your indication that none will be fixed.
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Of all the authors of software that I know up to date
Michael is the most helpfull and fast responding I have
seen and worked together with !
Sorry I can not share your experience!
Moi 3d is one of the most powerfull applications out there
and a real joy to use !
There is nothing like bug free software. ; )
I am looking foreward to having the privileg to
be able to use and test forthcoming betas when ever they come....
I wished that other software were so stable and predictable
as Moi 3d !
I´ve actually seen quite a few friends that i gave the heads up on the
software that are very happy with it !
A happy user
Many thanks
Peter
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I can't understand why this is becoming such a big deal. There are many other soultions to this simple (and i do mean SIMPLE) problem of a placing a hemispherical cap on the end of a tube. Here are three solutions which don't require a save and reload :

1. draw a sphere, rotate it so the edge is tucked into cylinder. Select both items and boolean union. DONE.
2. draw an 90 degree arc at the end of an open tube, then revolve it. Select the tube and the revolve and join them. DONE.
3. draw a 180 arc at the end of the open "tube" surface. Select that arc and split it at the midpoint, leaving two 90 degree arcs. Select the tube's edge, and create a new surface by using the Sweep command, using the 2 arcs as rails. Select the swept surface and join to the tube surface. DONE.

jonah
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1504.22 In reply to 1504.19 
Hi Steve,

> No, just your attitude towards bug reports, and your
> indication that none will be fixed.

I did put in a considerable effort to fix all the major bugs before the final 1.0 release.

That has helped to make a very stable final release, but at the same time makes it less of an important issue to send out further updates for it.

If you find major bugs that really prevent you from getting work done, those are the kinds of things that I will definitely make an effort to fix up in a 1.0 service release if it is feasible for me to do so.

This one certainly does not fall into that category.

I've tried to previously explain that making changes to a released product is a risky thing, it is easy to destabilize things by making changes, sometimes it is surprising how small of a change can have unintended consequences.

As a result, I am going to be very conservative about making changes to the already stable release.

Once the 2.0 beta versions start, I will be a lot more responsive to making changes in that version. So you won't have to wait very long if you want that type of thing.

Anyway, I have tried to explain this numerous times, it does not seem to be productive to continue this particular discussion any more, I will close this particular thread.

- Michael
  More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Show messages:  1-13  14-22