Closing a surface
All  1  2-9

Previous
Next
148.2 In reply to 148.1 

In this particulariy case ( four curves sides) it's like surface of Coons :)
More genraly maybe Gordon's surface :)
I don't know if these sorts of thing is yet implemented
Or maybe it's possible with a little trick :)

Sweep with 2 rides seems taken a less best bad result :)

Maybe also all curves can't be "clean" closed depending of their forms

Question : Only some curves of an object can be "exported" as like an object? (seems not)

EDITED: 4 Oct 2006 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
148.3 In reply to 148.1 
This seems like a shape where it would be easier to construct it as a smooth thing doing it all at once in one surfacing operation, like making a single loft or sweep for the entire shape in one go.

But trying to connect the pieces - there is a significant enough transition between the 2 parts there that just a single blend like you've done is not good, it swoops around too much and then since the edge has such a dramatic curve, it is hard to construct something else off of it.

In a case like this, you need to create some additional curve structure, so that you can create some surfaces in between the shapes so that you have more control over the transition.

Here is one approach to doing this:

I started by doing a separate on everything to make it into individual surfaces, and then deleted your old blends. Then I created a new curve that was kind of a half-way transition between the existing top 2 edges. I dragged out a construction line between the endpoints of those edges and placed the endpoint of the new curve half-way between them using the mid snap on the construction line. Then I duplicated the edge curves with ctrl+drag and scaled them slightly and positioned the results slightly inside. This results in the figure all the way to the left.

Then I created some guide rails to help define the inbetween shape. To do this I used Draw curve/Freeform/Through points. I went through 5 points there to make the shape. This results in the 2nd figure.

Then I trimmed back those guide rails. I wanted to create them longer than needed and then trim them back, so that the curve tangent at the endpoints would be pointing in a favorable direction towards the existing surfaces. If the curve directions at the end are pointing off in some sharp direction it will make things difficult because the surface you construct there will also follow that. Trimming back results in the 3rd figure.

Now there are enough curves to create the in-between surfaces, I used 2-rail sweep to construct each of those.

Then for the final figure I used blend to create surfaces along the top and bottom, and then used 2-rail sweep to fill in the remaining holes.

The result is still kind of lumpy - I didn't really spend any time on this, to make it smoother you'll want to spend some more effort controlling the shape of the in-between piece, probably with some more profiles for the sweep. If you look at the in-between section from the side you can see that it is kind of slightly "S" shaped which is not so good. Instead you want to put some more profiles in there to make it more evenly shaped and more subtly curved.

Eventually there will be more controls and some additional surfacing tools that will make it somewhat easier to do some of this stuff. But even when those are available, you'll still need to do a similar procedure as this when you have a significant transition between shapes - you just sort of need to draw more curves and give more of a definition to the type of shape you want in between there.

I hope this gives you some ideas on how to approach this.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
148.4 In reply to 148.3 

So you have not projected to implement Coons Surface or Gordon Curves?
In any case cool trick for the closed object above :)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
148.5 In reply to 148.4 
> So you have not projected to implement Coons Surface or Gordon Curves?

I do intend to have these. But even with these, it will still be necessary to create some additional curves to help define the shape of the in-between surface.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
148.6 In reply to 148.2 
> Question : Only some curves of an object can be "exported" as like an object? (seems not)

I've put this on my list to fix up. Not for the next beta (which I hope to finish soon after I complete the work on quad support), but the one after.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
148.7 In reply to 148.6 
Your list must be like a Danaide’s barrel :D
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@ Michael :

Thanks ! I will carefully examinate this one and the Crane Hook file you posted some time ago. No doubt that this approach can be useful in a lot of circumstances.

@ Frenchy :
> Question : Only some curves of an object can be "exported" as like an object? (seems not)

Obviously, Michael understood your question. Not me ! ;-) Can you further explain (maybe with a few french words...)
By the way, do you sometimes sleep ??? ;-)))

Cya

Schbeurd
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
148.9 In reply to 148.8 

@Schbeurd
In french:)
C'est facile : on selectionne quelques courbes d'un objet, et on les "exporte" (menu FIle Export)
Mais ce n'est pas encore possible, dans une ou deux beta peut-�tre :)

PS Of course I am some insomniac :D
Have you seen this video of a crazzy futur game Spore?
Hilarious by Robin WIlliams http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1734727723734486891&q=spore
Some more videos exist on the right side about Spore
This prog seems have a tremondous system of 3D creatures creation!

EDITED: 5 Oct 2006 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-9