unable to create direct 3d9 device?
All  1  2-8

Previous
Next
1469.2 In reply to 1469.1 
Hi RyGuy,

This means that your video card does not support the minimum features that MoI needs in order to operate, or that there was some problem in communicating with your video card.

Sometimes it is possible to upgrade your video driver to the newest version to make it work better, you might give that a try. I think that 845g is the name of your motherboard chipset, the video card part will have some slightly different name like "82945G Express" or something like that, you can find out by going to Control Panel / Display / Settings / the name will be shown there under the Display: label.

Once you know which one you've got, it looks like you can go here: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/index.htm to download the newest drivers for that video subsystem.

Also if you can let me know which one it is I can give you some more information on whether MoI is supposed to work on that card or whether you need a newer card.

> it says moi works with low level gaming cards too?

It does, but your video card is not a gaming card, yours is what is called an "integrated graphics" card which is basically something that is a low powered economy card that is built right into the motherboard. These types of video systems are generally slower than a dedicated video card. (although they are much better in brand new systems, but I think your system is around 6 years old or so? At that point the integrated graphics systems were much much slower).

Generally to run MoI you need a video card that is only around 5 years old or so.

You will probably need to upgrade your system to have a new video card to use MoI (and probably to use any 3D graphics focused software really).

MoI actually doesn't need very much video horsepower to run, there are plenty of $30 cards that will run it fine, it just happens that your one is way on the most bare bones side of things.

Anyway, if you can let me know your specific video card version I can give you some better information.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Message 1469.3 was deleted

Previous
Next
1469.4 In reply to 1469.3 
Hi RyGuy, that would definitely interfere with running MoI! :)

Glad you figured it out,

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi,

I'm having this problem too. I was using MoI in this laptop (graphic card is GeForce Go 7400), and it was working with no problem. Suddenly, I just open MoI and the "Unable to create Direct3D9 device" message appears over the viewports. I didn't change any setting in my video card... It was working, I've just closed MoI... reopen it again a few seconds later, and this is happening.

Any idea about what kind of problems could cause this situation?

Thanks!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1469.6 In reply to 1469.5 
Sorry for bothering... it seems to be working again. I wish I knew what fixed it, but I'm not sure... After a few reinstalls and reboots ti finally worked. Probably this laptop is asking for a permanent break... who knows.

Thanks!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1469.7 In reply to 1469.6 
Hi jacobo3d,

I would personally look at un-installing and re-installing the graphics drivers (check for any updated drivers first)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1469.8 In reply to 1469.5 
Hi Jacobo, like Steve mentions it is likely to be a problem with the graphics drivers.

Probably something to do with the graphics driver not cleaning up the allocation of video memory when programs are exiting. If all the card's video memory is used up then a new program that asks for video card resources could fail due to lack of available memory.

That's my best guess from your description.

I would definitely recommend updating to the newest version of your video card driver to see if it improves the situation.

Otherwise, rebooting the machine will force the video card to start in a fresh state.

This shouldn't normally be necessary, but if your video card driver has a bug in it and is not behaving properly all kinds of strange things can happen. Video card drivers are very complex so unfortunately bugs in them are not unusual.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-8