Make pipes easier for tubulars/pipes frames professionnals designers
 1-20  21-40  41-60  61-65

Next
Michael,

Could it be possible to have in the next version of MOI a quicker pipe creation tool : it means making a pipe from a curve or line and having a box who ask you inside diameter, outside diameter , color , etc .... without using a second profile. An exemple of this it is the very useful ruby script for Sketchup " pipe along path" .... I think this tool could change the productivity delay of architect/designer like me who work a lot with tubular frames ... and also for mechanical designer for tubulars car frame design .

To see the sketchup ruby script : http://www.suwiki.org/suwiki/index.php?title=Pipe_Along_Path_Tutorial

I dream too of a pipe tool who allow me to make a complete(complex) 3D rails/lines frame and transforms it in a global tubular frames in one push button?? Is it possible ??

Bye,

Pierre.

EDITED: 16 Mar 2008 by PIERREARCHI

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.2 In reply to 1463.1 
Good suggestion, i support this feature suggestion too as it would help when you got lots of pipes and cables you need to model into a large assembly.

/ Magnus
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.3 In reply to 1463.2 
I may have been missing something in that tute but the working methods within MoI seem just as easy to me?
Hope a clearer explanation can be made to help me understand.

EDITED: 31 Dec 2008 by BWTR

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.4 In reply to 1463.3 
Are Pierre and Magnus suggesting that a "proper" extrude along path is a problem in MoI?

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.5 In reply to 1463.1 
Hi Pierre, have you seen the "auto place" mode for sweeping?

This is shown in a couple of the video tutorials here: http://moi3d.com/1.0/docs/tutorials.htm

If you want to create a number of pipes all with the same radius, it is only necessary to create one single circle as a profile, just place the circle off to the side away from the pipes. It is not necessary to draw a circle into position for each pipe that you want to create, once you have drawn the one circle, you can select it and use it for creating each pipe that you need.

So for a simple pipe with no inner radius, there really isn't much speed to be gained by a specialized command.

The benefit of this system is that it is only one minor step extra than a specialized pipe command (draw the circle), but it is much more generally useful because you can draw whatever shape of profile you want, polygons, squares, etc..., you aren't strictly limited to only a circular profile like you would be with a specialized pipe command.

That's the reason why there is no dedicated pipe tool in MoI, instead I did some extra work to make the sweep tool easier to use for this purpose.

But after having said all of that, I think it should be possible to create a custom command for you that works like a kind of macro and automates these steps just given a radius.

I'll see if I can cook that up for you a little bit later today, I don't think it should be too difficult.

Right now sharp corners aren't handled in the way that you need though, this is a limitation of the current sweep command that it does not do the extra extensions and trimming work to produce mitered corners. I am planning on working on this for v2 though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.6 In reply to 1463.5 
I just did an exercise and found you can sellect all the pipes and give them all a (same) thickness in one go.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.7 In reply to 1463.5 
Thanks Michael and Brian.

Try again with the existing tool.

Pierre.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.8 In reply to 1463.6 
Hi Brian, you mean by using Shell?

By the way, your idea posted above on being able to use a planar surface as a profile input into sweep is a great idea. I have added that to the wiki wishlist to keep track of that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.9 In reply to 1463.1 
Hi Pierre, I have attached here a new Pipe command which makes it quicker to create hollow pipes around many curves in one shot.

However, this will only work properly on a smooth curve, you will have to wait until MoI version 2.0 before this will handle sharp corners properly.

To install this new command, download the attached Pipe.zip file. Copy the 2 included files (Pipe.htm, Pipe.js) to the \commands subfolder under MoI's main installation folder in c:\Program Files.

That will install the new command, but you also need to add a new shortcut key to trigger it. To do that, go to Options / Shortcut keys, and push the "Add" button, and put whatever you wish for the key (for example P), and then for the command put in Pipe.

Now when you push that key the new Pipe command will be launched.

Select your rail curves first, then run the command. Then you will have the options for Outer and Inner radius which you can set in the command options area in the upper right corner of the MoI window.

So for example, taking these curves:

You can then run Pipe and create this:

This should speed up the creation of a larger number of pipes or tubing as you were asking about.

I hope this is useful!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.10 In reply to 1463.9 
Michael,

You amaze me. Your contributions to your user base are very admirable and very much appreciated. I am very happy with my MOI purchase and it gets better everyday.

Sincerest Thanks

Phil
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.11 In reply to 1463.10 
Michael.
Yes I meant shell!
Actually I was surprised that sweep did not work!
(You know which (//) thinggy "update"that should be added to!
(I inspired an idea in Michael Gibson---will I ever be able to sleep again?)

P for Pipes--all in one go! (Thanks Michael)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
what about auto-intersections?

---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.13 In reply to 1463.9 
Fantastic Michael !!!. Try it when i have a moment today...
Thanks again ... (from a future MOI buyer !!!)

This is an exemple i have done with Sketchup+podium with long efforts, bad precisions, no smooth on curve....
I work on architectural prototypes with roof based on pipes frame and tended tissu : i 'm sure making this quicker and better with the new pipe tool add-on in MOI !! ....

Pierre.

EDITED: 16 Mar 2008 by PIERREARCHI

Image Attachments:
Size: 217 KB, Downloaded: 265 times, Dimensions: 821x486px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.14 In reply to 1463.12 
Hi Pilou,

> what about auto-intersections?

It's kind of difficult to handle self-intersections without doing quite a lot of extra checking which slows processing for normal things down quite a lot as well...

So most of the time surface self-intersections like that won't be handled generally. You need to construct things like that in different segments so that the pieces can be booleaned or trimmed with one another.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.15 In reply to 1463.14 
Michael,

The script doesn't work for me.
Config : mac+parallel + xp + no save Moi version ?
Impossible to see a new window after clicking a rail ... Have you got an idea ?

Bye,

Pierre.

EDITED: 17 Mar 2008 by PIERREARCHI

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.16 In reply to 1463.15 
Hi Pierre, did you unzip the files, and can you double check that you have 2 files named Pipe.js and Pipe.htm inside the C:\Program Files\MoI 1.0 trial\commands folder?

Also can you tell me what you have listed for your shortcut key for Pipe under Options / Shortcut keys?

I just gave it a quick try over here with the no-save trial version and I couldn't see any problems over here anyway...

Also, it actually isn't supposed to pop up a new window - it should show the pipe options in the upper-right area of the main window.

And also the options won't show up immediately after you click a rail, you have to push Done or Right-click after selecting the rail, if you did not have anything selected before running the command. In general I would recommend selecting the rails before running the command though, then it should go directly to the options page.

One other possible issue - I think that anything older than the brand newest version of Parallels had problems running the Direct3D display system that MoI uses, so if you are using an older version of that you might want to update it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.17 In reply to 1463.16 
Sorry Michael,

i have wrote "put in pipe", in the shortkey instead of "pipe".
Everything work fine ....Fantastic.

Thanks Michael.

Pierre.

PS : I'm just buying MOI licence 5 minute ago ....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.18 In reply to 1463.16 
I 'm just "playing" with the new tool ... it is really fantastic to create severals pipes in the same times ....
When i think of the time spent on sketchup to make 2 pipes .... the productivity is now fantastic.

Thanks michael.

Pierre, Pipes architect.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1463.19 In reply to 1463.18 
I'm glad it is working for you now, and thank you very much for your order!

I hope it won't be too much longer before I will be able to work on the corner mitering for v2.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Pipe doodling:

- Michael