Shell problem

Next
Hello Michael,

i have problem with Shell: if have a box no problem... but if i have just one rounded edge the shell don't work.

P.S.
My complimnets for this great program!

MrBraun

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1449.2 In reply to 1449.1 
Hi Mr Braun, generally when shelling a solid, the face that is selected to be an opening should have sharp corners where it attaches to the rest of the solid.

A face that is connected in a totally smooth manner to the rest of the solid will not work.

But there is an alternate method that you can use in this particular case though - select that top face:

And then delete it:

Now this open object can be shelled:

This works because shelling an open object is done by offsetting all the surfaces involved, and then performing lofts between the open edges.

Shelling a closed solid works in a different way - the surfaces of the solid are offset, except for the face that is selected as an opening, that one is just copied without an offset. This means that the other faces are extended to meet up with the copied face, and in a smoothly matching up situation that extension will not be possible.

In general it is better to perform shelling on a closed solid instead of an open surface if possible, but this is the one case where it works better on an open object instead.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1449.3 In reply to 1449.2 
Tnx for the fast support Michael! :)

Only one things: are possible to have into a next version, one message that indicate that the fillet (or other operation) don't go into right way?

For example: if don't have the round, are great if Moi give a message "Radius are too big!" or "Radius are too little"?

Tnx in advance for the answer!

MrBraun
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1449.4 In reply to 1449.3 
Hi MrBraun, I would like to do that but it is unfortunately a lot more difficult to do than it seems...

I'm not really sure yet if it will be possible to do it soon.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1449.5 In reply to 1449.4 
I hope soon too! :)

Tnx for the fast reply! :)