Internet Explorer 8 killed MOI!!!!!!!!

Next
I know....it's beta.....don't use on a production machine.....

I tried it on my main computer and it worked okay....until I loaded up MOI. All the Done and Cancel buttons wouldn't show up. If I tried to draw a curve and right click to finish, the curve would disappear. I did a repair install of XP and loaded IE 7. MOI was back to normal. I installed (stupidly) IE8 again and the same bad behavior showed up. I then uninstalled IE8 and now any part of windows that relied on IE shared dll's doesn't work. I have all kinds of error messages. MOI won't start and neither will system restore. So, here goes repair install number 2 today.

Michael, you might want to verify this on spare machine to see if this is something that you need to keep an eye on.

Phil
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1435.2 In reply to 1435.1 
Phil, it's often needed to do some SW experiment, so I put my main HDD in a removable case and when i need to do some IMPORTANT upgrade or installation, I quickly substitute my main HDD with another 'sparring' HDD with the same content.
In this manner I can do any kind of operation riskless.

Anyway I always have an (fresh) image copy (on external HDD) of all my HDD partitions.

I also use True Image 11 that has an useful function called "try and decide": it use a ghost partition and any operation is addressed to this 'ghost' system (like Sandbox). When you reboot, all the changes are gone!

Gianrico
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1435.3 In reply to 1435.1 
I learned my lesson when I installed the beta of Microsoft Expression Web. The uninstall did not revert everything back and I'm still having issues after several months. No more MS betas for me!

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1435.4 In reply to 1435.1 
Hi Phil, yup I have tested this on a spare machine myself and Microsoft seems to have quite an awful lot of bugs in IE8 which mess up all the UI panels in MoI.

That is quite a bummer that their uninstall also is buggy as well.

IE8 is a very early beta, so I certainly hope that it will improve a lot before their final release. It is definitely a worry that they have made so many changes that break compatibility though, it looks like I will need to send in some bug reports about it, I actually already posted one on their beta newsgroup.

Definitely do not install IE8 on any kind of production machine, only put it on a test machine that you can easily re-image.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All