Wrinkles in 3ds exports?
 1-18  19-21

Previous
Next
1392.19 In reply to 1392.18 
Hi Brian, well one thing that is difficult is that each program may have its own unique terminology.

Like for example in your dialog there I don't really know what the difference is in Carrara between a "Facet Mesh" and a "Vertex Primitive".

Sometimes the auto position and auto scaling can create alignment problems when you want to import pieces from several different files. Basically if each piece gets scaled to the same uniform size, relative sizes between each piece will get lost. So sometimes you might want to un-check "AutoPosition" and check "Disable Auto-scaling". But this is not likely to be an issue when you are importing just a single file to work on.

The "Map OBJ Y to Carrara Z axis" should only be used if your objects seem to be coming in rotated 90 degrees from the original. If they are then flip this checkbox.

Assume UV Coordinates are Between 0 and 1 - that should be checked, MoI does export UV coordinates between 0 and 1.

I would say the "Create one Object per Group" you want to have on, that will help get your pieces separated so you can assign different materials more easily.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1392.20 In reply to 1392.19 
Thanks Michael.
Thats all been a great learning curve for me. I think I have a much clearer understanding of a lot of app file interrelationship problems that have worried me in the past.
Strangely, the Map axis option does have to be checked for MoI .obj files.

The Facet Meshes option is very odd. You then have to convert the items within Carrara if you want to work on them in the Vertex Room!(Which can be slow) I can not see a benefit.

So much I learned. MoI Obj saves is great. Thanks again
Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1392.21 In reply to 1392.20 
Hi Brian,

> The Facet Meshes option is very odd. You then have to convert
> the items within Carrara if you want to work on them in the
> Vertex Room!(Which can be slow) I can not see a benefit.

I guess that must be some remnant from an older version of the software...

> So much I learned. MoI Obj saves is great. Thanks again

You're welcome! I'm glad that you've got a good method for translation now.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-18  19-21