Help in making a heart shaped bowl
All  1-13  14-18

Previous
Next
1382.14 In reply to 1382.10 
Hi Brian,

I guess a lot of it comes down to how you've learned to do your "workflow"?

Very early on I'd gotten into the habit of hiding my original curves straight after the Surface had been formed.
I tend not to delete them just in case I need to rebuild or use them to modify the model a bit later on.

This of course means that when any Fillets need doing, the only thing I'm able to select is the Surface.

Hope this helps, Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1382.15 In reply to 1382.13 
Hi Brian,

> But sellecting the face gives a fillet on all edges!

Well, only if you select all the faces...

Like if you want to fillet edges just along the top of a shape like this:

Then you can select the top face like this:

Which will produce fillets just along the top edges like this:

Note that there is not a fillet on all edges, just on edges that belong to that top face.

The nice thing is I only had to select one face to fillet all those edges, instead of selecting many edges.

> Sorry for carrying on, but there are just a very few "odd" working
> methods in the current version of MoI that either need an SR

It certainly helps when you describe the problems you are running into, that may give me ideas on how to improve things in the future.

But not everything has a very clear cut solution to it, a change to solve one particular problem may cause new problems in other areas. In this case everything is functioning as it is designed to, so a SR is not the answer.

> or very clear working proceedure instructions.

That's really what the forum is for - it seems like this is all cleared up now with this forum discussion?

But yeah for v2 at least I can add some notes about this in the documentation for Fillet.

If you were running into a lot previously and wasting a lot of time, I guess I'm kind of confused why you didn't post about it earlier?

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1382.16 In reply to 1382.15 
Colin.
You grasped a concept that my simple brain missed--can I blame it on age?

Michael.
Michael, as your images show, selecting a plane gives fillets on all edges--which was not as I wanted!

Why not complain/comment before?---when do I know the fault is not mine?

I am reminded of the wow tutes by Thomas about Hexagon, which as far as I can see no-one has yet emulated. (Most "crash"!) As Thomas said, he had a team designing the programme to his ideas!

We all dont have the same thought train or app backgrounds, so some will , naturaly, be slow like me.

However, I make a point (?) that some of the basic MoI concepts may be "un-natural" to some and may need highlighting if they can not be changed in V2.

How do you highlight those "different" things in the, very first, introduction to the app? Now theres a puzzle!
(Hidden in a tute is not sufficient maybe?)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1382.17 In reply to 1382.16 
> Why not complain/comment before?---when do I know the
> fault is not mine?

Well, it certainly is true that it is generally helpful for you trying to work things out for yourself before bringing it up.

But at the same time if you keep running into it or it is taking a significant amount of time, please do bring it up.

It's important for me to know what things people find confusing.

And for instance in this case it didn't take long to clear it up...

> However, I make a point (?) that some of the basic MoI
> concepts may be "un-natural" to some and may need highlighting
> if they can not be changed in V2.

I certainly agree with your point!

I don't generally expect for 1.0 to be perfectly natural in all operations to all people from all different backgrounds. That's pretty much impossible...

But I can make improvements as time goes on though!

> How do you highlight those "different" things in the, very first,
> introduction to the app? Now theres a puzzle!

Yes, that is the difficult thing to figure out. The other major complicating factor is that the things that are different change depending on your particular background.

> (Hidden in a tute is not sufficient maybe?)

I think that tutorials are probably the most straightforward solution though - for example if I had a tutorial that did some extrusions and filleting that might have been able to cover this a bit more since extrusions tend to have the curves overlapping the generated objects more so than the commands I happened to use in the other tutorials.

In the future I would like to do some more tutorials and I can try to cover this with them.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1382.18 In reply to 1382.17 
Thanks Michael.
  Reply Reply More Options