Is it real, or is it Memorex?

Next
For those of you old enough to remember the old Memorex tape commercial.

The ring on the left is a photo I took of one of my creations. The image on the right is MoI and Hypershot. I'm pleased how it turned out (I wasn't trying to match the background). The metal is titanium.

Ed

EDITED: 8 Feb 2008 by ED

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1354.2 In reply to 1354.1 
Look great Ed! Hypershot seems to do a nice job with metals.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1354.3 In reply to 1354.2 
Thanks Michael.

As I experiment with product photography and model renders, I find that the same issues exist in both media.

When taking a photo of a highly reflective object, you are not taking a photo of the object. Rather you are taking a photo of what the object reflects.

For that reason, the photo background, overall environment, and lighting play a major role. I have learned its the same in rendering - picking the right material attributes is important, but the backplate, HDRI environment, and lighting make all the difference. And of course a MoI model!

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1354.4 In reply to 1354.3 
Hi Ed, it is interesting how real-life photography experience and learning crosses over to rendering as well.

One big area of that is usually lighting, which is usually a pretty difficult part - it seems like that's one really nice area of Hypershot that its focus on getting the lighting from HDRI makes it easy to get nice lighting results without manually setting up lights.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1354.5 In reply to 1354.4 
HDRI lighting does make it fast and easy, but can also be less precise than manual lighting objects. That is, sometimes I like the overall lighting, but wish I could add a second light in a certain location ( one trick is to make two renders after rotating the HDRI and merge them in Photoshop layers).

It really depends on the object and materials you render. For example, I purchased a CD with over 100 HDRI studio environments from Dosch. Only two worked well for my particular scene. For a different model, probably a different set of their HDRI environments would work.

For most models, the default HDRI may work fine. Just as in photography I have to experiment to get the exact results I'm after.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Added to the Special thread Gallery :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All