Feet AND Inches Input

Next
I did a quick search for this but couldn't find any help.

Is there a way to input feet and inches at the same time like in Sketchup? For example if I start drawing a line and type 14'5" for 14 feet 5 inches.

I set the base units to feet in the options menu but that didn't seem to fix the problem. Right now I'm just converting the inches into decimals so 14'5" would be 14.4166666.

Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1353.2 In reply to 1353.1 
No, there is no other entry mode than plain decimals right now.

Any case, wouldn't it be easier to go and work in inches (173 inches) without crazy decimal rounding errors?

Or go metric like the rest of the world ;). I recently had to machine a part which broke on my China made tool (no wonder there...) and the bugger had an inch diameter and a metric key slot. That surprised me a bit. I had to buy a key cutter for that 4mm key on the 1/2 inch shaft. It's becoming crazy now. I am waiting for inch shafts with metric threads and british key ways.... Made in Cheapistan.

Cheers
Rainer
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter ;)
and the stupidity to use differents unities !
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1353.4 In reply to 1353.1 
Hi Rado, nope there isn't any way to feet & inches right now, but it is something that I intend to add.

I've added it to the wiki wishlist so that I can keep track of it better. (http://moi3d.com/wiki/Wishlist)

Right now you do have to use decimals.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1353.5 In reply to 1353.4 
Ok! Thanks Michael! For the most part I love the fact that it doesn't do this. Just having the option for when I want to work on an ArchViz project would be nice though!

At Lemo & Pilou:

It stinks that the USA doesn't use the metric system like the rest of the world. It guess it makes TOO much sense to use a base 10 number system.

Lemo sorry for your troubles. I tend to just work in feet and inches b/c it lessens the chance of error. If I'm working from an existing architectural plan, it's easier (for me at least) to do feet then add the remainder of the inches on later. I could see myself stupidly multiplying by 12 incorrectly and having the plan be off by several feet. I guess it doesn't really matter though, seeing that tend to use a calculator to double check the decimal equivalent of inches.

Pilou, that's great. US tax dollars hard at work! =)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All