MoI3D is ignoring me....

Next
MoI3D and I have a relationship problem. Often I try to coax my MoI into... you know.... modeling... and MoI is simply ignoring me!
What I want to express with that is that it is annoying at times that MoI is simply sitting there, turning the attention to something else and leaving me there guessing if something may or may not happen. A good example is the bevel function. If the parameters are not perfectly right, then nothing happens. Usually there is a pause before beveling ensues and the 'calculating' message pops up. So, I am waiting for that 'pause time' to elapse before I abort and retry with another value till MoI is satisfied with my choice and gives in to my beveling desires. A red flashing indicator for 'nope... doesn't work pal!' or a 'bleep bleep' sound would be great. I am sure there is an exception trapped in the software which could be sued to indicate that something is wrong. I have not felt the urge to actually KNOW what is wrong as I usually guess right away what the problem is, but an indicator would be great! Another example is a failing boolean operation. That is pretty mute as well and can take a while to before it continues to do.... nothing. In which case I would prefer the sound to be the one of a deflating whoopie cushion.... but I guess that's just me ;)
Cheers
Raine
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1352.2 In reply to 1352.1 
@lemo I believe it's the same for everybody :)
When parameters are out of subject nothing happen :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1352.3 In reply to 1352.1 
Hi Raine,

How would you want to decide whether the input value is correct or not without allowing Moi to start a calculation? I guess MoI always have to perform the calculation and the issue is that for the inappropriate value of a chamfer, fillet ... the computation can be done immediately as well as it can be time-consuming so "Calculating" button appears.

Maybe, the border of the input box could change its colour when command aborts due to improper input. It means you would be sure enough that after clicking the input box MoI doesn't stop performing current operation...

Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I agree guys, I have same problem myself and it does get frustrating at times.

How about putting it on the wish list Michael, just a pop up or message to say "You can't do that, because...", or does that create a lot of work for you.?

Best Wishes.
Malc.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1352.5 In reply to 1352.1 
Hi Rainer, for version 1.0 the priority was much more on not making those things crash on you! :)

As you can tell I haven't yet figured out a good place to put error type feedback.

I'd like to figure out some area where I can print a few lines of text, for error messages and also for other types of general feedback that might be useful. I have not really figured out how to set that up yet. I was kind of waiting to see if that could be figured out first before doing something different, but yeah probably something simple would be better to do sooner for this.

That pause before "Calculating..." is necessary so that it doesn't flash over there (and shift the UI) too rapidly when simple things are calculating pretty quickly.

So I think your main issue is that due to the pause, you can't tell if a command had an immediate failure, you have to wait for a moment to see if there is no "Calculating..." displayed to determine that.

It seems like one way for me to solve this would be to put a "Calculation failed" message in that same area where the "Calculating..." is displayed. The "failed" message could go up immediately instead of after a pause, and I think that would solve this particular problem.

It's not difficult to do that, but it will take some testing to make sure that some commands don't accidentally pop up a bunch of "failed" messages when you are still in the process of gathering up the inputs into the commands.

I should be able to add that in pretty easily to one of the earlier v2 betas, right now I added it to the wishlist to keep track of it, with a link back to this thread.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1352.6 In reply to 1352.4 
Hi Malc,

> just a pop up or message to say "You can't do that, because...", or
> does that create a lot of work for you.?

This one is actually a lot harder to do than what it seems...

I think this kind of more descriptive message will have to wait until I have figured out the "feedback" type area like I mentioned above.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
I think a simple indicator which is usually green or neutral could turn red till the next action from the user is taken. Or a whoopie cushion sound is played 8).

Something like this above... The red MoI would turn normal or green once I would hit the cancel button/esc key. The function is not possible because of the imposssible distance. I leave the sound to the imagination 8).
Cheers
Rainer

PS:A dynamic bevel depending on the tightness of the curve would be REALLY cool!... V3 maybe???
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All