Naughty Sphere's

Next
I am running constantly into problems with spheres. When I 'bool' a dent into a sphere with another smaller sphere, then I can fillet the rim nicely as long as it does not intersect with the 'seam'. The moment that seam on the sphere is involved many functions just don't work right. How can I avoid the trouble with those naughty spheres?
Rainer
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1326.2 In reply to 1326.1 
Hi Rainer - yeah that is one of the biggest problems currently with filleting.

I hope to get that fixed up with an update to the geometry library that I am using for version 2.0 .

In the meantime, one approach to work around the problem is to use the Transform / Rotate (or Rotate Axis) command to spin the sphere around its own axis to move the seam further out of the way.

Sometimes it can be better to spin it so that the seam actually cuts right into the other object, instead of trying to move it away.

I mean if you have a sphere like this with the seam close to the other object, that is the problem:

If the seam actually slices into the other object:

Then that will also help to make a fillet there, instead of stopping when it hits the seam, it will stop when it runs out of seam and tries to cross the pole. Sometimes that is easier to set up.

This is definitely the #1 most annoying problem with fillets though and I am looking forward to getting an update to fix it.

- Michael

EDITED: 30 Jan 2008 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks! Good, it's not me... it's the seam! 8)
Rainer
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All