Do we have a clear develop map?

Next
It's really a amazing prog!And the interface is so exciting!
I think the neat and clear interface gathered most guys here!
For a really cute baby, I have so many questions about it.
For it's import/export,rendering,is it only another high edition of
rhino?
When open a same file, mio used more memories than rhino3 on
my pc now.(it's only a simple test)In the future,will it need more
and more when it become perfect?

So why not give us a develop map?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
131.2 In reply to 131.1 
Hi Solo, I'm glad you like the program!

> For it's import/export,rendering,is it only another high edition of rhino?

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the question. There will be some additional import/export options coming with the next beta release. There won't be any rendering functionality for the V1 release, but I do expect to add some in future versions.

> When open a same file, mio used more memories than rhino3 on my
> pc now.(it's only a simple test)

Can you please post the file so I can take a look? I just did a quick test, my results were different - Rhino3 used more memory than MoI to display the same file with shading.

Were you comparing with a wireframe display in Rhino? That does take less memory because it is doing a lot less.

> In the future,will it need more and more when it become perfect?

No, I don't expect it to take up too much more memory in the future.

> So why not give us a develop map?

I don't really have an exact development map... I have a lot of different ideas, but the priorities change a lot depending on the feedback that I get.

There are a few general things that I know about (such as rendering won't be available for V1), but specific things are pretty fluid right now.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
131.3 In reply to 131.2 
> There are a few general things that I know about (such as rendering won't be available for V1), but specific things are pretty fluid right now.

I consider MoI as a modeler, so personally I prefer to see more modeling tools and options implemented first rather than rendering capabilities (but OK for a quick render option just to see if you're objects look right).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
131.4 In reply to 131.3 
> I consider MoI as a modeler, so personally I prefer to see more
> modeling tools and options implemented first rather than rendering
> capabilities (but OK for a quick render option just to see if you're
> objects look right).

Yup, this is the plan.

Some kind of basic rendering stuff will be natural to add at some point in the future, but it is not a priority for the V1 release.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
131.5 In reply to 131.2 
For the memory test ,it's really very simple ,i just compare them in taskmgr and maybe not exactly.And I am only wished when the program completed, it will not cost too much system resources.

The question is it only another high edition of rhino, I mean will MIO be another caid software to instead rhino or alias?May be for a beta version I expect to much because i really like it :) I am sorry about my poor english ~

And there is a problem confused me now , how did the history command works?

EDITED: 21 Sep 2006 by DEEPURE

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
131.6 In reply to 131.5 
> For the memory test ,it's really very simple ,i just compare them in taskmgr and maybe not exactly.

Did you ever minimize the Rhino window during your test? For Rhino's memory usage to be so low, I would guess that you minimized Rhino, but did not minimize MoI.

When you minimize an application, Windows flushes all of the application's memory to the disk, then only the stuff that is actively being used gets paged back in to occupy RAM.

On my machine, if I just launch Rhino3 and don't do anything at all, it takes up 26,040 K.

If you minimize and restore the MoI window, you should see a very similar drop in memory usage.

> And I am only wished when the program completed, it will not cost too much system resources.

It won't. It has been a major goal of MoI to be quick and light and not consume excessive resources. Another test you can do is to enable the GDI and USER object handles in task manager, and compare the use of these.

At such a light scene as you show, you really aren't testing how much system resources each program consumes when models become more detailed, you're only testing the very baseline costs.

> I mean will MIO be another caid software to instead rhino or alias?

In some ways yes, and in some ways no. For simple things yes. But there are many things that Rhino and Alias do that MoI won't do, at least for quite a long time. So it's not something that would be exactly a replacement for those programs, in many cases.

The focus in MoI is to make it easy to do simple things quickly. This can still be very useful for Industrial Design, but it is a different focus than Rhino or Alias.

> And there is a problem confused me now , how did the history command works?

You can use Edit / History to enable or disable history updates on an object. Some commands have history updating enabled by default, such as Revolve. If history is getting in your way, you can turn it off by selecting the revolved surface, and choosing Edit / History / Disable update. Now the revolve will not update anymore when you change the original curve. Other commands are the opposite of this - for example mirror has history disabled by default. If you want your mirrored object to update when the original is changed, you can select the mirrored object and go to Edit / History / Enable update. Now when you edit the original object, the mirrored one will be updated.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
131.7 In reply to 131.6 

Thank Michael!
Yep,I used to open rhino first ,so i think the test is wrong before.
Anyway ,it's a lovely program. I am always here and wait its grow up.

EDITED: 22 Sep 2006 by DEEPURE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
131.8 In reply to 131.4 
A basic quick render would be a nice feature for a later date; however, you may want to take a page from another "modeling-only" program. Since most, if not all, rendering packages on the market support a command line interface, why not offer the ability to the send the scene directly to a 3rd party renderer via command line? That way, it circumvents not being able to render an image without either closing MoI and Opening the scene in another package, or running both packages simultaneously.

Just my two cents.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
131.9 In reply to 131.8 
I think a renderer should be last on the todo list.
A few general export formats to get your model into a package of choice for rendering/surfacing/animation are really all thats needed at the moment.
I just would be happy with a feature that hides or fades the construction lines for now... just to be able to preview a clean smooth shaded model.

+ loading background images into the views would be great too..... i can almost not do without them :)

cheers!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
131.10 In reply to 131.9 
> A few general export formats

Some of these are coming very soon...

> I just would be happy with a feature that hides or fades the construction lines for now...

Under Options, you can uncheck "Display hidden-line edges", that will clear up the display somewhat. Also if you select edges, you can also hide them just with Edit/Hide. Eventually I will add a quick option to turn on or off display of all edges entirely.

> + loading background images into the views would be great too.....

This one is not going to make it for the next beta, I've put the focus on export formats first. But it is high on the priority list, I expect to work on it for the one after the next beta.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
131.11 In reply to 131.10 
awesome!!.... i can't wait for the exporters... then i can actually show some cool results
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All