shallow arc problem

Next
Hi, I have been moiing for about a month now, without any problem, until today.
The problem I encountered today has something to do with arcs.
I was trying to make a four sided shape which comprises of three straight lines and one arc.
However, as you can see in the attached image, no matter how I make this shape (JOIN, BOOLEAN/DIFF, BOOLEAN/MERGE, or BOOLEAN/ISECT) the resulted arc-side ends up being a straight line once a plane is made out of.
If I try the same process with arcs with smaller radius, I get expected results. This happens only when I use very shallow arcs, so it seems.

Anybody has seen this problem before? and possibly some workarounds?
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
1308.2 In reply to 1308.1 
Hi takesh - that type of thing is a problem in the display mechanism, it is not creating enough triangles for that surface to make it look smooth.

Your actual true surface data is fine, and if you export to a mesh format (for example save to .obj), that export mesher will do a more detailed job than the display mesher and you should see that it works ok there, with more detail added in that area as you move the slider over.

> and possibly some workarounds?

Basically, it is best to just ignore it... It shouldn't be a problem in the actual model data that is saved or exported to other programs.

It can be possible to reduce it by increasing the mesh display density - this is found under Options / View / Mesh angle, switch that to something like 5 and your display may improve for this instance. But that will also add a lot more polygons to other objects as well, slowing the display down somewhat with larger models.

I would like to improve this in the future, I have several similar examples saved up for some future attention. It's a tricky thing to fix without slowing down the display for other objects as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All