Vector exporting improvement request & isometric/orthographic question

Next
Hi,

Excuse my poor english... I'm french and not so familiar with english.

I'm trying MoI through the final beta, and I think it's really pretty modeling software! I hope that I will be able to use it at office as soon as possible, but at this time I think some importants (for my needs) features are still missing (or I don't know how to get its benefits).

The most important one is about vector exporting function...

I've tried the .ai export function, and it's working, but not enough: for example, I draw a cone in MoI, and when I export it to .ai, I only have the base curve and a line. That what I need, is an export feature which give me the borders too...

And some other features like:
- the ability to set many others setting in export options window, like to define a specific line width for hard lines, and another one for other lines
- the choice to draw, or not, the lines wich are masked by a surface, or, better, to draw, in a option specified color, the shape wich corresponds to a surface, without border, to mask back lines

All this options should improve technical illustrators/designer productivity, so I this it could be interresting to include its into MOI...

Is it possible? Is it planned?

Due to my strange english, I don't know if you're able to understand me, so in attachments, you'll find some illustrations of that what I'd like, in the zip file or in a PDF file...

In addition, before to my boss get interested buying some licences, the soft will have to be able to set the view in orthographic mode and positionning it at isometric points of view (in order to prepare the vector output view) -> with 120° angles between each axes... Perhaps it's already posible but I didn't find this settings.

About exporting scale: 1mm in MoI have to be 1mm in illustator... Actually, I didn't find the way to get this result. This point isn't the more important as scaling isn't a big time eating operation...

And a question: did you plan to get the soft to be able to deal with other output vector formats, like eps/svg...?

Thanks, and sorry for the strange style of my post :)

best regards,

Cedric

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1298.2 In reply to 1298.1 
Michael will answer you but there is a french forum here also ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1298.3 In reply to 1298.1 
Bonjour Cedric, thank you for your feedback and your very clear images!

Since MoI is just in version 1.0, there are actually quite a few features that are still missing, I expect to add many things in future releases.

For version 1.0 the focus is on producing 3D model output and not 2D vector output yet, although as you have seen there is a very basic AI output as an initial starting point.

You haven't missed anything - none of what you are asking for is possible in version 1.0 . I do plan on adding this functionality in to future versions, but I'm not quite sure of the schedule for exactly when that will happen.

> with 120° angles between each axes... Perhaps it's already posible but I didn't find this settings.

You can set the angles for the 3D view under Options / View / 3D view angles, but there is not currently any option for the 3D display to be set to orthographic instead of perspective.

> And a question: did you plan to get the soft to be able to deal with other output
> vector formats, like eps/svg...?

EPS is virtually identical to AI (versions 8 and under), you may be able to re-name the .ai file that MoI saves to make an EPS file. I would like to add SVG support in the future.

I have added your requests to the wishlist here: http://moi3d.com/wiki/Wishlist so I can keep track of them.

One quick note - in your screenshots you show that these are 3 completely separate objects with pieces sticking through each other. It would be quite difficult to handle separate objects that happen to be sticking through each other and generate a curve where they intersect, it would require doing a lot of extra intersection calculations during hidden line removal. I'm not sure if that will be very feasible, probably when I do have better 2D output you will probably need to boolean objects together into one new object with edge curves at their intersections, in order to get the kind of display you are showing there.

Sorry that MoI does not have the functionality that you need at this time, check back in a future version!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael, hi Pilou,

Pilou, thanks for tip :-)

Michael, thanks for this reply... I hope that I'll be able to use this fantastic software ot affice as soon as possible! So I'll keep an attentive eye on the evolution and as it's ready I'll recommend to my boss to buy some licences, it's sure... But as you understood I absolutely need vectors and isometric feature to make my enterprise working with it, so I'll be patient and continue to hack my illustration with wings3D subdivision modeler :)...

But at this time, I really think that future versions of MoI should perfectly answers to technical illustration needs! Congratulations for this good product...

Perhaps I'll buy a single licence to play with it at home, but I have to know if you have a plan about the selling of future upgrades? Do you have an idea about how much?

Thanks a lot,

Cedric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi,

I also would be very interested in vector output as I use moi very often for my illustrations.
I am Glad that it's Michael's plan to implement such features in the future.
Non-perspective view would also come in handy.

There is a workaround though, Rhino works great with Moi.
You can always open your 3dm file with Rhino and use "Make2d" command.
Afterwards you can export your file or use a pdf printer.

In my opinion, "ca vaut le détour" :P

Concerning Illustrator export, I believe that if you don't click on "fit view to page" when exporting AI, the units stays the same in the illustrator file.

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
How about MOI and an inexpensive rendering package such as Carrara 5 Pro (actually isn't C5Pro FREE NOW over at Daz3D??) and say its Toon Pro Plugin?

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/gallery.php?ProductId=15&Page=1

Granted, if you really need 2D vectors then that's not an option but if you're just looking for a >cel shaded< or "2D look" then this may be an option!

I own C5Pro and the Toon Pro plugin and it's a pretty nice toon renderer - just a thought...
(Especially now since C5Pro is now FREE!)

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1298.7 In reply to 1298.6 
< C5Pro FREE NOW over at Daz3D
It's not exactly free : you must buy 3D World Magazine issue 100 before ;)
http://www.computerarts.co.uk/about_us/latest_issue/3d_world_issue_100

and maybe DAZ yet registered ;)
---
Pilou
My Gallery

EDITED: 23 Jan 2008 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1298.8 In reply to 1298.4 
Hi Cedric,

> but I have to know if you have a plan about the selling of future upgrades?
> Do you have an idea about how much?

I don't have an exact plan for this yet, but it will probably be a pretty normal type thing.

I'd expect to have some kind of upgrade discount available so that v1 owners will be able to purchase a v2 license for less than the regular full v2 cost.

I expect it will take a while before v2 is ready, maybe around a year. In the meantime before v2 is finished, v1 users will be able to use the beta releases of v2.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
As a follow up for anyone interested in that free Carrara 5 Pro package as a renderer for MOI, it's in issue 100 of 3D World Magazine http://www.3dworldmag.com/page/3dworld?entry=b_3d_world_100_now

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1298.10 In reply to 1298.9 
yes but seems you can't buy the N° 100
it's write "Sold out"
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All