Assign commands to buttons?

Next
I would love to be able to assign scripts to some buttons. Like the front page of the site says, "you don't have to hover over the keyboard when using MoI.".

Maybe throw in a few programmable buttons in a tab called 'User' or on a barren tab like 'Select' or 'View' ? :-)

-Nick (purchase of MOI coming, pending funds ;-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1290.2 In reply to 1290.1 
Hi Nick - some kind of "user defined button zone" is definitely something I want to add, it's just one of those things that I didn't have time to get to for version 1.0 .

One idea I've had is to set up something to let you insert your own buttons into the bottom toolbar into the area between the "Object Snap" button and the "Options" button. For higher screen resolutions there tends to be a fair amount of space in that area. Do you think that would work?

It is actually possible to set this up right now because all the program UI is located in editable text files underneath the \ui subfolder inside MoI's main installation folder. So you can edit the UI in a text editor like notepad to add or change stuff.

If you want to give me an example of a button you want to add, I can give you some instructions here on how to edit the UI files to make it show up.

You also might be interested in this thread which has some discussion of editing the UI:
http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1173.1

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1290.3 In reply to 1290.2 
D'oh! I looked for info like that before I posted, but didnt see it... sorry bout that. That post will do what I want.

But anyway, for those not interested in messing with any behind the scenes stuff, some user defined, OEM buttons would be cool (sure, at the bottom, yeah)... although it goes against the UNcluttered interface you currently have, that I like.

-Nick
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1290.4 In reply to 1290.3 
Hi Nick, that's great!

Just a quick overview here - if you look in the \ui sub-folder, the main file that contains most stuff is sidepane.htm .

If you look in there you will find various buttons defined by a
<moi:CommandButton> ... </moi:CommandButton> tag.

The bottom bar is defined by the file CommandBar.htm and CommandBarRight.htm (for the right-side buttons like Options and Help).

To copy a button over, copy an entire <moi:CommandButton>...</moi:CommandButton> tag and paste it into the CommandBar.htm file, before the ending </body>.

Certain buttons pop out one of those little sub-menus, and the buttons inside the sub-menu are defined in another file located in the \commands subfolder. Like for instance all the boolean buttons are in a file under \commands\Booleans.htm, so to copy one of those buttons look in that file for the button definition instead of the sidepane.htm .

Let me know if you get stuck.

> although it goes against the UNcluttered interface you currently have, that I like.

Well, what I was figuring was that it would be totally empty by default, (that will keep the uncluttered-ness for most people), but letting you do something like drag/drop a button to that area, or right-click to get a menu to add a button.

It will be a while before I'll get a chance to work on that though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All