cross section

Next
I'm a newer user and I like MOI and congrats on the release.

Is there a feature for getting the cross section (in line or plane form) of a 3d?

thanks,

Nick
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
1286.2 In reply to 1286.1 
Hi Nick, there isn't a specialized cross-section command, but you can use either Boolean intersection or Construct / Curve / Intersect to create a sectional slice.

To make a plane use the boolean - draw a line flat on the world xy plane for where you want to have the cut. You can also have multiple lines, the Transform / Array / Dir can work for replicating the line with a particular distance between each one, let me know if you want more details on that part.

So then you have your solid, and a line:

Select the solid, then run Construct / Boolean / Intersection, then select the line and push Done (or right-click).

That will generate this slice:

You can use a line or 2D curve to interact with a solid in boolean operations - internally it will automatically extrude the line and treat it as a plane during the calculation.

If you want to create only a curve at the intersection, you can do that using Construct / Curve / Isect - however unlike the booleans this one doesn't do an automatic extrusion, you will need to extrude your lines into vertical planes first and then select all the planes and the solid and then run this command.

Let me know if you have any questions on this.

At some point in the future I should be able to set up a few extra utility commands that will kind of bundle up these operations to make the cross-section generation take a couple less steps.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All