Snap to picked point ?
All  1-2  3-5

Previous
Next
It's handy for placing arrays on circular points. make a circle/show points. then you can snap the center of your object to the points for equidistant spacing.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
128.4 In reply to 128.3 
That type of point snapping (to Show pts) is actually a separate thing - it's available all the time and doesn't depend on the "Snap to picked points" setting.

The "Snap to picked points" option only controls whether points that you have just clicked within a single draw command are available for snapping, while still within that same draw command.

The example is - do a Draw curve / Freeform / Control points.

Pick a few points and don't finish yet - right now while you are still inside that draw command if you move your mouse to some of the previous points, it won't normally snap there. But it will if you turn on this one "Snap to picked points" setting.

Why would you want to snap back to earlier points you clicked? Well, it's not often that you do, that's why it is pretty obscure - the only reason you might want to do it is to draw a construction line off of one of those points, because you want to use the construction line to align some next point off of one of the previous ones. And even then it is easy to accomplish the same thing by setting up some points or lines as snapping guides before you draw the curve.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
128.5 In reply to 128.2 
> Let me know if this explanation doesn't make sense.

Yes thanks. Unless you have really good reasons to remove the function, leave it as it is in MoI. I don't see immediate use for it but as you said, you can place some reference lines or points BEFORE you start the curve. This means that if you realize that you need reference points while you're already drawing, the option becomes useful. And as I sometimes start to draw curves with no real idea of where i'm going... ;-))

Schbeurd
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-5