Is this a fault of my computer?

Next
Hello all,
hello Michael.
Rudy here.
I am not sure why this is happening....probably is my computer....
I include a file.

I want to boolean diff. the inside of my ring (using the cilinder), to get rid of the base of my rectangular head.
When I do the operation (first select my base obj....ring), then the obj. to subtract (cylinder), my machine start to calculate, for approx. 30 seconds, then the inside cylinder disappear, but the base of my head is still sticking down inside my ring. Somehow the boolean diff. did not happen
Am I doing soemthing wrong or is my machine ?(I feel it doesn t have memory enough to perform certain operations...bought a couple of 1GB memories to install.....)

Thank you,
Rudy
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1275.2 In reply to 1275.1 
Hi Rudy - your head piece is made up of several individual surfaces, it is not currently a single solid.

So what I think was happening is when you went to boolean it, you were only grabbing just the outside surface as the first object to be selected, probably the separate "inside" surface was not selected, that's why it would be hanging around afterwards.

If you make sure to select everything in that head piece, like for example by dragging a window around it, then it should work for you.

It may be a good idea to join all the pieces of that head piece together so that it is one solid piece (it needs a bottom cap as well), then that makes it easier to deal with it since it will be one object that gets selected with just one click on it.

Does that make sense?

Also at this point you may want to select some of the construction curves and either delete or hide them to get them out of the way.

This one was not probably any problem with your machine, but more RAM is a good idea to keep things from bogging down anyway.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1275.3 In reply to 1275.1 
I think I got it.
Idid not "close" my head. A planar operation is needed at the base of my rectangular head ...I think that is the problem...
let me try.

Rudy
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1275.4 In reply to 1275.3 
Yes, Michael.
It makes sense. Also the bottom cap in the rectangular shape is missing anyway.
I will rebuilt the head as one single solid.
Thank you much!

Rudy
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1275.5 In reply to 1275.3 
Hi Rudy,

> A planar operation is needed at the base of my rectangular head ...I think that is the problem...

Yup, and that the top pieces are all separate.

The easiest way to get your base closed off is to join all the upper pieces together first, then you can select that object and use Construct / Planar to seal off the bottom.

Construct / Planar can be used either to create a surface through a selection of planar curves, or on a surface object it can place a sealed end cap on.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All