Highlight last item created with Copy

Next
Hi,

Would it make sense that the last object or group of objects created with copy command would be highlighted at the end of the command, thus deselecting the original selection set?

Regards,

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1270.2 In reply to 1270.1 
Hi Marc, it is kind of tough to say in some of these cases.

For example, one use of copy might be to make a kind of quick "backup" of an object off to the side somewhere, and then continue working on the object at hand.

It is possible to set up a keyboard shortcut that will get the selection set up like you want though - to do that use this script:

code:
script:var gd = moi.geometryDatabase; gd.deselectAll(); var a = moi.command.lastCommandRevisionStart; var b = moi.command.lastCommandRevisionEnd; var objects = gd.getObjects(); for ( var i = 0; i < objects.length; ++i ) { var obj = objects.item(i); if ( obj.databaseRevision > a && obj.databaseRevision <= b ) obj.selected = true; }

That should work with any command, to select just the new objects that were created by the command and deselect everything else.

It should also be possible to customize just Copy itself to work like you want, let me know if you want a version that does that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1270.3 In reply to 1270.2 
Hi Micheal, thanks for the script! One situation that happens often is when I copy one object, zoom on it, select it, do some manipulations and I find out later that my original object has been modified also. (it was still in the active selection set.)

I agree that it may interfere with some type of workflow and it is not easy to draw the line.
But I get the impression that making backup copies seems to be a situation of exception in the general job description of the copy command. :)

Regards,

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1270.4 In reply to 1270.3 
Am I seeing a need for "Incremental Save" ?
Michael has made a thingy to add to you UI for this.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All