Array on curve : any workaround

Next
Hi Michael,

I know there's currently no array function in MoI (hope there will be one...) but I was wondering if there's a workaround permitting to array objects on a curve.
For example : I've a freeform curve and I want 7 circles on the curve, all at an equal distance from each other. Can this be done now ?

Greetings

Schbeurd
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
126.2 In reply to 126.1 
> Can this be done now ?

Hmmm, I don't think so. I can't think of any workaround because there isn't anything else that generates equal spacing along the curve right now.

For the time being until there is a proper array on curve you'll have to use Rhino to do this.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
126.3 In reply to 126.2 
I've noticed that there is a "mid" snap option on straight curves but not on freeform curves or arcs... Is a "snap to the middle of the length" of a freeform curve or arc difficult to implement ? This could help for finding a workaround before we have an array function I think...

And for what concerns Rhino, from a commercial point of view maybe it's not a good idea to send your potential customers to the "competition" ;-)))
As a hobbyist, Rhino would be a huge investment. I imagine (I hope...) that the commercial version of MoI will be more affordable and will probably be more than enough for my requirements. Your soft is coming with a perfect timing for me.
I'm using other (polygonal) modelers and I'm looking for a tool that complements them especially for "hard surfaces" modeling.

Schbeurd
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
126.4 In reply to 126.3 
> Is a "snap to the middle of the length" of a freeform curve or arc difficult to implement ?

Arc is certainly easy - freeform curve is more difficult but still doable. I think I should be able to add these for the next beta.

> from a commercial point of view maybe it's not a good idea to send your potential customers to the "competition" ;-)))

It actually doesn't really bother me. I just generally expect MoI to be used alongside many other applications frequently.

> I imagine (I hope...) that the commercial version of MoI will be more affordable <than rhino>

Yes, it will be.

But let me ask you - from your hobbyist point of view, what do you think is the breaking point where something becomes too expensive and out of reach?

> I'm using other (polygonal) modelers and I'm looking for a tool that
> complements them especially for "hard surfaces" modeling.

Yeah, I think this should work out well. Since MoI's approach to modeling is so different than polygon modeling, it has a very different set of strengths and weaknesses, so I think that makes it useful as an additional complimentary tool.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
126.5 In reply to 126.4 
> Arc is certainly easy - freeform curve is more difficult but still doable. I think I should be able to add these for the next beta.

Great !!!

> But let me ask you - from your hobbyist point of view, what do you think is the breaking point where something becomes too expensive and out of reach?

Very good and interesting question ! ;-)
This can lead to a long debate but let me deliver just a few considerations...

First, the "breaking point" is certainly very different from one individual to another. I don't think there's really some need to comment a lot on this ! ;-)

- Price is (of course) very important but not the only criteria. (BTW sometimes, additionnal taxes and VAT are requested for european customers that make the software more expensive here than in the US. Also the exchange rate USD/EUR can be advantageous or disadvantageous for us)
If MoI contains (say) 10% of the functions of Software Rh... and you sell it 50% of the price of Rh... then as a consumer I will probably consider that there's more value for money in the other software and go for it.
- Not only the original price but also the upgrade/update path is important. Some companies release a new version every 12 or 18 months and the upgrade price is quite high (50-60 % of the ordinary price). For others, new releases are more spaced in time and there are free or low cost updates between major releases (not just bug fixes, but new functions as well). On the long run the second option is much more attractive of course (well, at least for the user).
- As a hobbyist, FUN is certainly very important. Ease of use, good documentation and/or support (from the company or the community).
- Stability is a must. And I must feel at ease with the interface. I just can not use certain applications because I don't like the UI although some other people can create magnificent things with them.
So I will not say that I have a limit placed to a certain amount. Deciding if I buy or not is more a combination of various criteria.

Hope you can already find food for thought here and that other users of the beta will add their comments in this topic...

Schbeurd
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
If you offer a penny for my thoughts
and
I throw in my two cents worth
Did I get stiffed?
lol
Hmmm,
For an app thats close to MoI as we currently know it, I'd have a limit somewhere between $200-$300.
Under $200 I'd buy for sure. Two to three hundred I'd weigh my decision. $300 up, I'd start seriously looking at doing without.
I'd emphasise, your accessability and manner of suport/development weighs considerably in my attitude. Without that, I'd be lowering my resistance point by $50-$75.
My approach is that of someone adding MoI to my suite of tools, and heavily influenced by the degree it enhances my workflow.
Others, intending to use MoI as a stand alone app would probably be less influenced by comparative pricing. I view MoI as a workflow addon.
I post purely as a response to your request, Michael.
Cheers
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
126.7 In reply to 126.4 
>> It actually doesn't really bother me. I just generally expect MoI to be used alongside many other applications frequently.

I'm glad more developers are taking this attitude. I don't think it'll be too many more years before monolithic packages like 3ds max and Maya are considered antiquated. Combine Silo and Moi with Messiah:Studio, Zbrush, and a standalone renderer like Maxwell and you're out the door for less than the cost of 3ds... and you don't have to pay for what you don't use.

>> But let me ask you - from your hobbyist point of view, what do you think is the breaking point where something becomes too expensive and out of reach?

A comma. ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
$200 and I think everyone would buy it for an add on to their workflow, as long as .obj is added as an export option and performs well. That would allow universal use in any pipeline.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous

Seems SIlo 1 was 109 $
Silo2 not yet release will be something like 158 $ :)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All