UV coordinates assigned to the surfaces which will be recieving textures.

Next
OK - I'm still new at all this.

Are UV coordinates, assigned to the surfaces which will be recieving textures, typically assigned by the modeling program, or by the rendering program?

The reason I ask is HyperShot can't assign textures to surfaces unless they come in with UV coordinates.

Just trying to figure out who I should send my wish list to :)

I can assign materials, and textures such as Carbon Fiber, to a sample model included with the HyperShot program and it renders fine.

If I import an OBJ created in MoI (and run through the separate program), I can assign materials to different parts of the object. However a texture, such as Carbon Fiber, will not render properly.

If I import a 3dm object created in MoI, HyperShot converts it to OBJ and I can't assign materials to different portions of the object.

Ed

EDITED: 5 Jan 2008 by ED

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1240.2 In reply to 1240.1 
Hi Ed. Moi's Nurbs surfaces already have UV's, so you are OK for programs such as Hypershot. External editors are needed if you want to refine those UV after meshing, or for assigning UV's to meshes that don't already have UV data (such as scan data or models form sds/poly modeling programs)...

jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1240.3 In reply to 1240.2 
Hi Jonah,

Your reply came in as I was editing my posting.

The issue is HyperShot automatically converts 3dm to Obj upon import, and I loose the ability to assign different material to different parts of the object.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1240.4 In reply to 1240.3 
i don't use Hypershot, but maybe you need to break up the object before exporting?

jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1240.5 In reply to 1240.1 
Hi Ed, there should be UV coordinates assigned in the .obj file that you export from MoI, so I'm not really sure why the Carbon Fiber material would not work.

You may need to contact HyperShot tech support and send them a small sample .obj file so they could check it out.

> If I import a 3dm object created in MoI, HyperShot converts it to OBJ and
> I can't assign materials to different portions of the object.

Yeah, if I remember right, when they import a .3dm file, they cluster everything by the different layers in the file instead of separating things for each individual object. So since MoI does not do layers yet and puts everything on a single layer that causes the problem you're seeing here.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1240.6 In reply to 1240.1 
Hi Ed,
It sounds from your description, like you have a UV mapping problem. I think what you need to do is import the obj file you export from the SeparateObj utility into another modeler that has a UV editor and edit the UV mesh (orientation and scale) to fit the kind of texture you intend to use in Hypershot. Then export that edited file to Hypershot and assign your texture. As soon as you start using textures that have a pattern or grain to them (things like wood textures or cloth patterns, for example) you'll need to start dealing with UV mapping to get the textures to fit correctly on many objects. Hope that helps?

Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All