My First MOI Model Rapid Prototyped - SUCCESS!

Next
I am not new to 3D modelers and have used Blender for years, but MOI was critical for me to create the designs that I needed in such a short period of time.

My brother is a miniature sculptor for war games (http://www.hydraminiatures.com). He is working on a game coming out soon that is a retro, 1950's space combat game called WAR ROCKET. There will be a good-guys faction, called the Galacteers. There will be four classes that are 1 inch, 2, 3, and 4 inches for each faction. Other factions will be Tyrants, UFO's and Space Pirates (I think.)

I found that the NURBS approach in MOI was excellent to quickly produce the model that we needed. We just got the first print back and it looked great. It's really small (just over an inch). This will then be cast in pewter and mass produced for the game as I wrap up the finishing touches on the Class two fighter. Each fighter will be on a small Plexiglas base.

I cannot wait to give my money to Michael for this fantastic piece of software.

Please, since these designs are for a game that is to be sold, all images and designs are property of the War Rocket team.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Very nice. Excellent detail in such a tiny subject.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1234.3 In reply to 1234.1 
Wow, that's great. Nice 3D and physical models. Love the cool retro design. Very 50's Sci-Fi comic.

Might I ask how the physical prototype was made? Did the MoI data get used directly?

Mark
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
This is so cool! Success with your games!

I have a really old board game that I've played once or twice - "SpaceQuest" and your pieces reminds me of that.

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1234.5 In reply to 1234.1 
...interesting business of 3D printing of game characters

http://wohlersassociates.com/blog/2007/12/3d-printing-of-game-characters/
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1234.6 In reply to 1234.3 
I exported it from MOI to STL. I had the world scale set to mm and scaled the ship to 31 mm before export.

I then used a recommended service, www.printapart.com. I uploaded the stl file (it was zipped) and the service properly read the file. It asked what dimensions my 31 was. I selected mm from a drop down box and then they gave me the pricing and shipping information. The part was ~$45 US, and was shipped the next day. I was very satisfied with the quality of the finished piece and www.printapart.com in general.

I am looking forward to creating the rest of the fleet.

Phil
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1234.7 In reply to 1234.1 
Hi Phil, this is very cool, thank you for showing it!

This is such an interesting way to get multiple uses out of your model - your rendering in Blender/Yafray can be used to create some nice graphics, and then use the same model to produce your physical model.

I am really glad that MoI is helping you to produce this quickly!

The physical model turned out nicely - just the right amount of detail for a small piece I think.

Love the retro feel. Reminds me a little of my '60 Dodge which has a kind of rocketship feel as well.

$45 and next day shipping - that is great and really inexpensive. At that low of a cost it is tempting to fire off several things just for fun. The last time I looked into it, things were quite a bit more expensive than that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
added to the Special Thread Gallery :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
*sigh*

One problem with the print-a-part parts, they will not vulcanize well with low temp vulcanizing silicones. You'll need to make a resin copy. I found this out the hard way. I am currently investigating another technology that hopefully will.

You might be able to get a good mold using vulcanizing silicone if you boil the part first. They contain residual wax support inside the model in fine capillary channels. The model will get soft, but if you let it cool undisturbed, it will resume its original shape w/o shrinking.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1234.10 In reply to 1234.9 
Yup....We just found that out as well.

Is there another service that you would recommend?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1234.11 In reply to 1234.10 
www.pardev.com

They use a Objet, and after some tests on my end, they work just fine when vulcd in low temp vulc silicone.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All