Unable to create Direct3D9 Device
All  1-2  3-8

Previous
Next
1205.3 In reply to 1205.2 
Okay, me bad. After posting this message I checked my other 3D apps and discovered that they were not working either. I checked the configuration of the video card and I had left the hardware acceleration off the last time I was doing a tutorial-style screen capture that included direct-to-screen video. I turned on the hardware acceleration and the program started working.

I played with it a bit, and so far it looks pretty cool. I'm especially interested in how it will export the nurbs models for eventual incorporating and rendering in Lightwave animations. I was able to create a couple of simple shapes that translated pretty well. It will probably take me a while to be able to create a more typical and complicated product model to determine if more complicated models translate as well to the .lwo format. Unless.... Are there any sample models that were created in MOI available for experimentation? This would help me find out pretty quickly if MOI has a place in our pipeline.

Anyway thanks for the speedy reply.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1205.4 In reply to 1205.3 
Hi Fred, I'm glad that you were able to solve it!

> Are there any sample models that were created in MOI available for
> experimentation? This would help me find out pretty quickly if MOI
> has a place in our pipeline.

There are various models scattered as attachments in the newsgroup, but I don't have any organized repository currently available.

I'd say give this one a try: http://annur.free.fr/MoI/PolyNightmareTest.zip

The 3dm in there was created by Steph as a torture test for MoI's new mesh export mechanism, that should be a pretty good test.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi
MoI works correctly in old PC AMD atholon 850 MHz Ram 256 MB Nvidia G-Force 400 64MB

Merry Christmas and happy New Year

Best regard

Juan Galvan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1205.6 In reply to 1205.5 
Hi Juan, Merry Christmas!

> PC AMD atholon 850 MHz Ram 256 MB Nvidia G-Force 400 64MB

If you do want to upgrade your machine, the #1 thing that I would recommend would be to add more system RAM.

That's usually the single biggest thing to speed stuff up, because once all your regular 256 MB is filled (which can happen fairly easily once you start building more complex objects and running more than one program at at time) Windows will start swapping chunks of memory back and forth to your hard disk which is so so much slower than having everything fit in RAM.

An older machine can work pretty well, but it does help a lot to have the maximum amount of RAM that will fit on it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1205.7 In reply to 1205.6 
Merry Christmas Michael:

With a new PC better MOI will run it is to demonstrate that MOI adapts to almost any system with modest video card.

A question:
what would it happen if the HD was damaged and do I lose all the information?
can I install MOI in another PC? comercial version.

Best regards

Juan Galvan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1205.8 In reply to 1205.7 
> With a new PC better MOI will run it is to demonstrate that MOI adapts
> to almost any system with modest video card.

Yup, that's true! I just wanted to mention the system RAM because adding more system RAM is a pretty easy way to make an older machine run more smoothly (for a lot of things, not just MoI) with only spending a small amount of money.

When you have less than 512Mb of system RAM, it can tend to get all occupied pretty quickly.

> what would it happen if the HD was damaged and do I lose all the information?

Well I hope that you are making backups of your important documents and models so you don't permanently lose anything that you have worked on!

> can I install MOI in another PC? comercial version.

Yes you will be able to do this - the commercial MoI will not be locked down to only be installed on a single machine.

That is becoming a lot more common these days, but I think it can too easily cause problems.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-8