Why Won't this blend?

Next
Hi Chaps,

I am trying to learn MOI by building bottle shapes as that will be my main use for it. Here I have a typical shape, with a squared 'body' flowing into a cylindrical 'neck'.
I couldn't figure out how to make this as one generated shape, even using lofts because they wouldn't follow the side profile properly. Anyway, I ended up making it in
chunks. So I build the body as a simple extrude, filleted the base then separated the base surface and moved it up, rejoined the body then blended it back to the base to
make the punt (which is that inward dome bit on the bottom of all bottles). For some reason MOI would not blend in one go, I had to select each single edge on body and base and blend each one separately.
Here's my problem. I've built a cylinder for the neck and now need to smoothly blend between the top edge of the body and the bottom edge of the neck. Seems simple enough but for some reason the blend tool refuses to work. Nothing happens?? I select all the edges and run the tool but nada?

Here's the file. Could somebody take a look as this is a fundamental necessity for my needs so I must work out where I'm going wrong.

Many thanks.
Roger
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1197.2 In reply to 1197.1 
Hi Roger - for v1 blend is pretty bare-bones. It will only create a blend between 2 individual edges.

The bottom of your cylinder piece is made up of all one edge, and then the other part you want to blend to is made up of 6 edges.

To make this work in v1 you will need to split the cylinder's edge up into 6 pieces so that you can pick the edges 2 at a time. To do this, select the edge and run Edit/Trim, and then you can click the "Add trim points" button which lets you click the splitting points on the edge.

This is definitely an area that I am planning on tuning up for v2.

Another method you could use for filling in that area is to create some profile curves like this:

Then select the bottom 6 edges and use Edit/Join to glue them together into one edge, then you can sweep along those profiles using that new joined curve and the top cylinder edge as rails.

Sweeps like this will not have fully proper continuity in MoI v1. By this I mean that it is likely that you will have some slight creases that show up between the different pieces that you build in this way. This is also another area that I will be working on in the future, but it is limited in version 1.0 . For version 1 the best way to ensure full smoothness between pieces is to make them meet in a sharp edge and use a fillet to round that out.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1197.3 In reply to 1197.1 
Hi Roger, that's a common problem with the Blend Command, because right now it can't blend "broken" edges, but only single looped ones.
One possible solution is to divide each edge in the the same number of segments.
In this case I trimmed the edge of the neck using Trim with Add Trim Points option checked, splitting it in six segments, just as the body edge.
Then I blended each couple of edges separately and joined the resulting surfaces.
Hope it helps.
Cheers
Daniele
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1197.4 In reply to 1197.3 
Hehehe, it seems that we were answering this at the same time!!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1197.5 In reply to 1197.4 
Thanks for the heads up. I'll play with these ideas to see which works for me.

Cheers,
Roger
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All