help

Next
i have fix one ring (test ring)and i want to taper the curve (test curve)so i put it under the ring(2parts and make some desighns over the curve stars etc)but i cant taper it.i have try with extrude with loft and network
please if anyone knows help me
thanks basilhs

EDITED: 13 Feb 2008 by BILLIS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1187.2 In reply to 1187.1 
Hi Basilhs,

Not sure if this is what you're after?

Hope it's of help, Colin
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1187.3 In reply to 1187.2 
thanks collin but u havent did anything.its the same ring.i wana taper the testcurve and make some designs in this surface
like star etc
anyway thank u for ur time
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1187.4 In reply to 1187.1 
Hi Basilhs,

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you mean by "taper the curve" - sometimes taper might mean to squish a shape so that it is pinched in more at the top than at the bottom, is that the kind of thing you're trying to do to the curve?

Do you mean you are trying to create some kind of surface from the curve?

Could you make a sort of rough drawn sketch of the kind of thing you're trying to make? That might help me understand what you are trying to do.

Are you maybe trying to build a surface skin through that curve? If so then I would recommend starting with your circle that you used to cut the finger hole, and then extruding it out into a cylinder. Then you can trim that cylinder with that curve to create a surface that fills in that area. It is often times easier to create surface to an irregular boundary in this way - larger surface that then gets trimmed back, rather than trying to construct a surface using only the irregular boundary curve all by itself. If you do want to try building a surface through that curve more directly then the way to do it would be to use Trim on it to cut it into 2 pieces and then Loft between the 2 pieces. But you will get a better surface by the cylinder + Trim method.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1187.5 In reply to 1187.3 
Hi Basilhs,

When you said "Taper the ring", I assumed you were referring to the lower section of the band or shank?
That's what I did in my version of your test ring.
Sorry that wasn't what you were after.

Sorry, I also don't really understand what you're wanting to "taper" on the "test curve"??

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1187.6 In reply to 1187.5 
the mistake is mine sorry but my english is not so good.i want this curve make it a surface so i can put it in the inside of ring with some desighns like hearts etc(but i want be 2 parts no 1 so when i prototype the model that surface go under the ring.i hope u undersand me .
anyway thank u for ur time ur guides make me better
thanks basilhs

EDITED: 13 Feb 2008 by BILLIS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1187.7 In reply to 1187.6 
Hi billis, in that case you will want to do these steps:

Start with the circle that was used for the finger hole - you can draw a new one if you need to in the front view by picking the center of the circle on the origin and then the radius point snapping on to your "test curve" there:

Select the circle and run Contruct / Extrude, and click on the "Both sides" checkbox option so that it is checked. That will create this:

Now select the cylinder, run Edit/Trim and select your "test curve" as the cutting object:

Pick the outside part as the area to discard in Trim and that will leave you with the piece you want:

When you have an irregular outline, it is generally better to try and create surfaces in this way where you create a more simple surface first and then trim it by the outline, rather than trying to create a surface only using the outline curve all by itself - when the outline has a lot of curvy parts to it, it can be difficult to construct a surface using it directly without the surface having wiggles and folds in it as well.

Hope this helps!
- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1187.8 In reply to 1187.7 
thanku michael .i dit it.i find and onother way to build that but ur way is more simple and have better results.
michael u have make the moi?
anyway thank u again my friend.
thanks basilhs
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1187.9 In reply to 1187.8 
Hi Basilhs,

Glad to hear you've got it all worked out.

Seeing Michael's example I can now understand what you were trying to achieve.
You were wanting an "partial inner sleeve" or a "Half Liner" as they say in jewellery.
English is hard at the best of times, but even harder when different Trades use different words for the same thing!

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1187.10 In reply to 1187.8 
Hi basilhs,

> michael u have make the moi?

Yup!

> anyway thank u again my friend.

You're welcome!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1187.11 In reply to 1187.10 
for me michael is best 3d program.its easy and u can create objects easier from other programs.
i try to learn rhino but its not friendly like moi and u dont have in rhino the help u have in moi
simple is always the best
basilhs
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1187.12 In reply to 1187.11 
Hi basilhs, one thing that is nice is that as you become more accustomed to working in MoI you will probably find that things in Rhino start to make more sense as well.

There are also some nice tools in Rhino especially for deformation (like twisting and bending surfaces to follow along other surfaces), so sometimes it can be helpful to use MoI and Rhino in combination. It is pretty easy to go back and forth since both MoI and Rhino use the same file format and you can even use copy and paste to move objects back and forth.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All