Problems selecting objects
All  1-3  4-17

Previous
Next
No problems for me either. Looks like you have 4 lines drawn.

I know this may sound silly but you are clicking to select the lines aren't you? The lines get highlighted yellow as the mouse hovers over them but you still have to click to select them.

Nigel
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Exactly, if you check the video, one of them doesn't turn yellow! This is my problem. I know that I have to click :))
***Modeling Of Ideas***
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1178.6 In reply to 1178.1 
Hi JTB, MoI does rely on your video card to do some work in the selection process.

Those curves are drawn behind the scenes using your video card, but in this case they use your video card's more "normal" style line drawing with single pixel wide aliased type lines (which MoI does not normally use for the visual part of the display).

It seems like there are a few video cards out there that don't seem to do a proper job of drawing regular lines like this under Direct3D.

You might try updating your video driver to the latest version, that could solve it.

Also, are there any objects stacked up underneath the rectangle in the case that you are showing? Like any additional lines or vertical planes directly underneath it? If so then that might indicate a problem with MoI's code instead of your video driver.

One other workaround other than switching to a different view would be to click slightly off to the right of your line that refuses to select, and then drag a dashed selection box towards the left that crosses over it, that should select it since the area type selection uses a different mechanism that does not rely on your video card.

Also, can you please let me know what kind of video card you have? You can find that under Control Panel / Display / Settings, just under the Display: label. That might help me track down what is happening.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1178.7 In reply to 1178.3 
Hi JTB, you wrote:

> my graphics card, explorer, direct3d, opengl and every other nice
> graphics system I can't understand :)

:) Just to narrow it down for you - the part that I would suspect is your video driver itself.

The best way to update that one is to go to your video card vendor's web site and download their newest driver from there.

Also, you may find that if you right-click and drag to pan the view slightly to the left or right, that it may solve the problem, because the issue may be that the driver does not properly draw lines that are right in certain locations half-way between 2 pixels.

If the problem persists after a video card driver update, please let me know and I can do some additional diagnostics to see if the problem is with MoI's code or not.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
i have the same problem. ive noticed it before with 3d objects; in that case when i mouse over certain lines one on the opposite side of the geometry will highlight???

with the rectangle situation i did some tests and here's my observations:
1) rectangle. created in right view; can only select top segment in right view; can select all in 3d view
2) rectangle. created in top view; can select no segments at all in top view; can select all in 3d view
3) rectangle. created in front view; can only select top & right segment in front view; can select all in 3d view

if i zoom in or out in any view, the segments i can select change, but i can never select them all?

i'm running vista and an nvidea 7300GS.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
My card is Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT, I opened some properties dialog and I saw that there was a setting about Direct3d and OpenGL settings that was set to balanced (between quality and speed). I changed it to "Let the 3d app decide" and it seems to make a difference... I test it and have no problems now....

I will update the driver anyway, although I think the only difference will be some added products that are supported....

I hope I did it and that everything works OK now, it was very annoying...
***Modeling Of Ideas***
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1178.10 In reply to 1178.9 
Hi JTB, hi xrok1, I remember some more details now.

When MoI does this "behind the scenes" render for selection, it needs to perform it with no anti-aliasing.

MoI tells Direct3D to do no anti-aliasing on this render, and then Direct3D tells the device driver.

But there was one version of the nVidia driver that didn't listen and did anti-aliasing anyway, if you had set it to be turned on for everything in the driver settings. There will usually be some setting for forcing anti-aliasing on in the driver settings, and that slider that you adjusted kind of wraps up several settings including turning anti-aliasing on or off.

I'm pretty sure that this has been fixed in later versions of their driver so that it listens to MoI's command to turn off anti-aliasing for this one particular selection thing. So once you update to a new driver version you should be able to have that setting to whatever and MoI will work ok.

@xrok1 - I'm pretty sure that this is your problem as well, that kind of incorrect targeting is happening due to the selection data being antialiased which mutates it. If you right-click on your desktop, a context menu will come up and you should probably have a menu item on it for "NVIDIA Control Panel". On the left panel go to "3D Settings", and under the "Adjust image settings with preview" entry, if you set the option to "Let the 3D application decide", it will disable this forced anti-aliasing and I think you will then be running properly. There is also a way in there where you can leave it on globally but have a different setting just for it to be disabled for MoI.exe, which would also probably work. Also if you update to the newest driver version I think your problem will also probably go away.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Michael. it seems to work now, actually I think it was fixed before the new driver installation... Just had to let the 3dapp decide instead of using a standard quality/speed setting
***Modeling Of Ideas***
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1178.12 In reply to 1178.11 
Hi JTB, that's great!

xrok1 - please let me know if you have any trouble finding this setting or if the problem continues after that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Micheal, changing the setting solved the problem for me also. thank you, i have to admit it could be more than a little annoying at times.

i appreciate your time and knowledge.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1178.14 In reply to 1178.13 
Hi xrok1, that's great!

I would still recommend installing the newest video driver that you can find though, especially on Vista newer video drivers can be tuned up for better speed as well.

Since Vista uses a different kind of video driver system than XP some of the earlier drivers for it were not really fully tuned up yet.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1178.15 In reply to 1178.14 
thanks for the suggestion, i am currently running the latest drivers.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1178.16 In reply to 1178.15 
Quick question - were you running into this problem while you were already running with the latest drivers, or did you update the drivers just recently?

If the latest drivers also have this problem that would be good for me to know.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1178.17 In reply to 1178.16 
this problem persisted with all drivers i've used even the newest beta drivers. nothing solved it until i changed to the suggested nvidea control panel settings.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-17