please help
All  1-8  9-10

Previous
Next
1175.9 In reply to 1175.8 
Hi Michael,

<Hi Colin, I think I like your way better.>

The basic idea for doing a ring this way came from one of the guys on the 3dcadjewelry Forum.
This was his suggestion on how to make a Signet ring or School ring really simply.
I just figured I could use the same method to construct a ring similar to the photo.

<When you create the cutting pieces from the right-side view, it is ok if they are not closed, they can be open as long as their profiles cross the whole object and appear to fully divide it into 2 pieces.>

He's using Rhino, so I think that you might need to create a closed curve for it to work correctly in Rhino?
So I just started using the same basic construction method in MoI & it worked great, so never thought of doing it using an open curve?

<You can also skip the extrusion of the circle - just select the circle curve as the cutting object in the Boolean difference. The boolean will do the equivalent of Extrude with "both sides" for you automatically.>

Ahh!, Great Tip!! I've been so used to doing it the Extrude way that hadn't even thought of doing it like that?

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
1175.10 In reply to 1175.9 
Hi Colin,

> He's using Rhino, so I think that you might need to create a
> closed curve for it to work correctly in Rhino?

Yeah probably - Rhino isn't able to do booleans mixing solids and curves directly like MoI. So using Rhino you would probably make those closed, extrude them with "both sides", and then use boolean difference using the extrusions as cutters.

Rhino does have a separate "WireCut" command that will cut a solid by a curve (the curve can be open), but it seems to only work using a single curve cutter at one time, so you would need to repeat it 2 times to cut this object.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-8  9-10