MoI installing??

Next
Dear Friends - Have downloaded the current MoI trial version. Currently have a CNC Sherline Mill that uses EMC. The design computer that I'm planning to install MoI just uses Debian Emc. Would it be possible to load MoI on the computer I'm planning to use for Cad designing? I don't have windows xp.

Would Moi open using Debian and be able to start designing items. I've probably been told before somewhere but as a senile citizen I can't recall if it was discussed?? Thank you so very much for offering Moi to the jewelry community, etc. it sounds encouraging.

Cordially,
Pete
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1170.2 In reply to 1170.1 
Hi Pete, no that won't work - you will need Windows to be installed to run MoI.

The computer that came with your Sherline CNC Mill is running Debian Linux - that is a completely different operating system. MoI will not run under that system.

It is possible to install both Windows and Debian on your machine as a "dual boot" type system - that will allow you to pick which operating system to run when you first turn on the machine. You can then reboot the machine when you want to switch from one to the other.

Your machine may not have a 3D-enabled video card currently installed in it, that is possibly another thing you might need to add to your machine before it will be capable of running MoI.

Hope this helps!
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1170.3 In reply to 1170.2 
Mike you wrote:

It is possible to install both Windows and Debian on your machine as a "dual boot" type system - that will allow you to pick which operating system to run when you first turn on the machine. You can then reboot the machine when you want to switch from one to the other.

Your machine may not have a 3D-enabled video card currently installed in it, that is possibly another thing you might need to add to your machine before it will be capable of running MoI.

Hope this helps!

Hi Mike - Have a Ati Radeon 9520 & a Nvidia Ge Force card (not sure if its 2 - 4 MX or FX Series) as I haven't installed it yet. The PC will have two HDs one for installing Windows & the other HD for Linux only. Can you tell me if Moi will run using Windows 98SE? 98SE is a later edition of the earlier 98. Second Edition.

Dual boot with separate HD's may be less problematic. Just a thought!

In the process of building the PC to run Moi CAD software, using Windows to run Moi. Will the design be able to be given g-codes, etc. so that I can copy these files to my Linux EMC and have the design produced?? Something like that??

One PC for running Moi Cad the other PC just for the Linux EMC to run the Mill using the CAM part. Does that sound like a workable solution?

Have downloaded the Moi Beta & if I can get my PC set up looking forwarding to what Moi has to offer. Sounds great.

Thank you!

Pete
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1170.4 In reply to 1170.3 
Hi Pete,

you wrote:
> Have a Ati Radeon 9520 & a Nvidia Ge Force card (not sure if its 2 - 4
> MX or FX Series) as I haven't installed it yet.

Great - either one of those will work fine! Between those 2, you should go with whichever one is newer, which I think would be the Radeon in this case.

> Can you tell me if Moi will run using Windows 98SE? 98SE is a later edition
> of the earlier 98. Second Edition.

No, sorry, it won't work with 98, 98SE or ME - you need to have Win2k, WinXP or Vista to run it, I would recommend XP.

> Dual boot with separate HD's may be less problematic. Just a thought!

That might be easier for upgrading or modifying stuff later on... But basically if you create 2 different partitions on one hard drive they will stay completely separate that way too.

> Will the design be able to be given g-codes, etc. so that I can copy these files
> to my Linux EMC and have the design produced?? Something like that??

MoI won't produce the g-code itself - MoI only generates the model data, not toolpath cutting data.

You will need some additional CAM software to calculate the toolpaths.

Check out here: http://www.sherline.com/CNClinks.htm for some links to some different CAM software that sherline recommends. Scroll down the to "CAD/CAM Programs" section.

> One PC for running Moi Cad the other PC just for the Linux EMC to run the
> Mill using the CAM part. Does that sound like a workable solution?

Sure, that should work.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1170.5 In reply to 1170.4 
Hi Pete

you wrote:
> Have a Ati Radeon 9520 & a Nvidia Ge Force card (not sure if its 2 - 4
> MX or FX Series) as I haven't installed it yet.

Michael you Wrote:

Great - either one of those will work fine! Between those 2, you should go with whichever one is newer, which I
think would be the Radeon in this case.

Will do!! Thanks for the suggestion.

Can you tell me if Moi will run using Windows 98SE? 98SE is a later edition
of the earlier 98. Second Edition.

No, sorry, it won't work with 98, 98SE or ME - you need to have Win2k, WinXP or Vista to run it, I would recommend XP.

Double Drat! Windows XP it will be. Thought I may be able to get around having to purchase another XP OS from M$$$$$.

Dual boot with separate HD's may be less problematic. Just a thought!

That might be easier for upgrading or modifying stuff later on... But basically if you create 2 different partitions on one hard drive they will stay completely separate that way too.

Seems like we could go either way?? Appreciate your thoughts.

> Will the design be able to be given g-codes, etc. so that I can copy these files
> to my Linux EMC and have the design produced?? Something like that??

MoI won't produce the g-code itself - MoI only generates the model data, not toolpath cutting data.
You will need some additional CAM software to calculate the toolpaths.

I'm beginning to get the picture. I believe that most Cad software does exactly what you explained. Produce the model or design then the CAM software converts this to codes so the EMC in this case can read to make the piece. or something like that???

Check out here: http://www.sherline.com/CNClinks.htm for some links to some different CAM software that sherline recommends. Scroll down the to "CAD/CAM Programs" section.

Appreciate the link. Seems that I've been looking at the CAM software for a while now. Hoping to be able to come up with a cost effective solution. You've been helpful in explaining the process. With the Moi program - PC setup - CAM will need to be now addressed. OK I think we got it a bit closer to reality.

> One PC for running Moi Cad the other PC just for the Linux EMC to run the
> Mill using the CAM part. Does that sound like a workable solution?

Sure, that should work.

Great idea & suggestions - Nice user friendly this Moi discussion forum!

Kindest Regards,
Pete
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1170.6 In reply to 1170.5 
Hi Pete,

> I'm beginning to get the picture. I believe that most Cad software does exactly
> what you explained.

Yup! Although there are some programs that do combined CAD + CAM.

> Produce the model or design then the CAM software converts this to codes so
> the EMC in this case can read to make the piece. or something like that???

Yup, that is exactly right - the EMC itself cannot directly take surface data. Instead it takes instructions on how to move its cutting tools ("toolpaths").

The CAM software reads in your model surface data and analyzes it and outputs instructions on how to move a cutting tool to produce that shape.

A couple CAM programs you might check out are:

MeshCAM : http://grzsoftware.com/std.php (pretty inexpensive, looks like it might be pretty easy to use).

and

FreeMill: http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Products/FreeMill.shtml (A free version of their VisualMill program)

I think that you should be able to use both of these together with MoI. After you create your design in MoI, you save it out to the .stl file format. Both of these programs can take in data in that format.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1170.7 In reply to 1170.6 
Hi Michael & Pete,

Both of those CAM programs appear to only be suitable for 3 axis milling.

One of the first things you'll need to establish is does your mill have 3 axis only or does it have a 4 axis(rotary)
If it has the 4 axis then you'll need a CAM program that can create cutting files accordingly.
Unfortunately the 4 axis CAM programs are much more costly!
In this case for a 4 axis version you're looking at $4000.00
http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Store/store.shtml

I already know that Pete wants to make jewellery items with his mill, so a 4 axis CAM program is really the only one that will allow you to make any ring designs properly.

Hope this helps, Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1170.8 In reply to 1170.6 
Hi Pete,

> I'm beginning to get the picture. I believe that most Cad software does exactly
> what you explained.

Yup! Although there are some programs that do combined CAD + CAM.

> Produce the model or design then the CAM software converts this to codes so
> the EMC in this case can read to make the piece. or something like that???

Hi Michael you wrote:

Yup, that is exactly right - the EMC itself cannot directly take surface data. Instead it takes instructions on how to move its cutting tools ("toolpaths").

The CAM software reads in your model surface data and analyzes it and outputs instructions on how to move a cutting tool to produce that shape.

A couple CAM programs you might check out are:

MeshCAM : http://grzsoftware.com/std.php (pretty inexpensive, looks like it might be pretty easy to use).

and FreeMill: http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Products/FreeMill.shtml (A free version of their VisualMill program)

I think that you should be able to use both of these together with MoI. After you create your design in MoI, you save it out to the .stl file format. Both of these programs can take in data in that format.

Great.....as soon as I am get the PC together & configurated as discussed Moi will be my first attempt at Cad design. I'll be sure to check out the links you posted and see what I can come up with for starters.

Thank you for your prompt posting & outstanding leads concerning Moi. I guess the ball's in my court for now.

Cordially,
Pete
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1170.9 In reply to 1170.7 
Colin Wrote: Hi Michael & Pete,

Both of those CAM programs appear to only be suitable for 3 axis milling.

Hi Colin Welcome aboard! - Thought I would be able to get setup with essentially what I had accumulated over time. In the meantime I recieved a lot of excellent input from those that much more knowledgeable in this area. Let's face it in the beginning I was about half right with a meager arsenal of equipment and no CAD/CAM and OS to run them.

Along came Michael and I once again got a Moment of Inspiration. I really didn't want to purchase another Windows XP OS. May not have had to but recieved the New XP today. I downloaded Mike's Beta MoI to CD. Need to build CAD PC to have 2 HDD's, if I can do it, Windows XP HD & Linux XP HD with the upgraded video card.

What would take You & Michael that are experts in this area, maybe 15 minutes to put together a PC. Wil take this senior senile citizen at least another 2 wks of trial & error attempts and numerous questions to the Forums to complete :).

One of the first things you'll need to establish is does your mill have 3 axis only or does it have a 4 axis(rotary)
If it has the 4 axis then you'll need a CAM program that can create cutting files accordingly. Unfortunately the 4 axis CAM programs are much more costly! In this case for a 4 axis version you're looking at $4000.00
http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Store/store.shtml

I already know that Pete wants to make jewellery items with his mill, so a 4 axis CAM program is really the only one that will allow you to make any ring designs properly.

One thing I have to keep in mind that at some point, you're right, I'll have to remember that I'll need a 4 axis CAM program and $$$$. In the meantime those links that Michael posted are looking better all the time.

Thanks for your help & taking the time to post. Looking forward to reading more of the posts concerning MoI,& hopefully will be able to get up an running before next year.

Kindest Regards,
Pete
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All