edge blending

Next
I cannot find an option to blend surfaces or smooth transitions between two surfaces...
What I have is two surfaces build from 4 curves each (network) where each surface has the edge/curve in the middle between the two of them in common. Like a rectangle divided into two squares with an edge in the middle of the rectangle. Now, there is a very sharp crease. Is there a way to smooth the transition between the two surfaces where they share the same edge as base for that particular side?
Cheers
Lemo
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1147.2 In reply to 1147.1 
Hi Lemo, normally you would use Fillet to smooth out a sharp edge where 2 surfaces are meeting.

Check out these videos: http://moi3d.com/1.0/docs/tutorials.htm , they cover using Fillet.

But it is a little hard for me to understand your shape just from a description, if Fillet isn't what you need, could you please post the .3dm model file here as an attachment? That would let me examine the model and come up with a suggestion.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@lemo :) you have forgotten the image for sure : an image is approximatively 200 words :D
:)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1147.4 In reply to 1147.2 
I found my problem.... To fillet, the surfaces involved have to be joined.
For my shape.... just imagine removing all surfaces of a cube except for two which have to touch each other. The try to round the 90Degree corner. With join , no problem, without join, two surfaces simply do not want to cooperate.
All good, perfect! The Sunburst tut had the hint hidden in the tutorial ;).
Lemo
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1147.5 In reply to 1147.4 
However, the attached file does not cooperate... sigh...
I am experiencing a lot of strange effects with this model. If it fillets.... then the resulting geometry is not quite correct, to be polite 8).
Cheers
Lemo
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1147.6 In reply to 1147.5 
Hi Lemo, thanks for posting the model that helps a lot.

Yeah normally you will want to join pieces together to fillet their common edge. It is possible to do fillets without joining but only if you have separated the objects into completely unjoined individual surfaces. Then when you pick 2 surfaces you can get a slightly different surface/surface type fillet calculation which can sometimes work in situations where the edge fillet will fail. But the joined-edge-based filleting tends to be more convenient so that's normally where you start.

For your new model on the top ridge edge, there are 2 things going on that cause fillet difficulty - one is when surfaces collapse down to a point, the filleter can get confused about that. Also when the surfaces don't meet each other in a sharp crease, that can also cause difficulty - here you've also got that happening since at the tip the 2 surfaces flatten down and become tangent with one another.

The top edge will fillet if you hack off about this much off the tip (here I drew a line and use Boolean / Difference to cut it:

Then you would have to fill in the tip part by doing some manual trims and maybe a sweep of the end fillet piece down to the tip. Let me know if you would like some more detailed steps on that part.

For the indented piece - that's again got the surfaces collapsing down to a point.

If you can model those as larger surfaces that are trimmed down, instead of ones where the entire surface collapses down to a single point at the tip, it will have a better chance of filleting.

Like for instance here I have made some cutting surfaces that are extended to be bigger than just the exact cut area:

If the indent is created by trimming these surfaces with one another (select them all and run Trim and push "Done" at the select cutting objects prompt to indicate they will cut each other), and the pieces joined together, then that result should have better chance at filleting.

Another difficulty will be the sharp corner - trying to fillet such a sharp corner will probably result in pretty messy blended corner areas that are trying to stretch too far around. To put less stress on that corner you need to make it rounded first before filleting. The easiest way to do that is to first fillet the inner edge with a larger radius:

Now the outside piece is all rounded and you can fillet the outer edges with a slightly smaller radius than the one used on the inside edge:

It should be possible for the filleter to get tuned up in the future to handle collapsed-down surfaces better, but for V1 it is pretty sensitive to that.

Hope this helps show you some work-arounds, let me know if you need more details about any part.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1147.7 In reply to 1147.6 
Fantastic advice! I only end up with the 'collapsing to a point' challenging geometry because I generated the sharp carved out part with an extrusion, bool, and then subsequent addition of a curve (valley center) and surface generation from there. That leads to 'sharp' edges. It did not occur to me that I can use another surface to trim the existing surface, thus creating already the valley profile I actually want..... From there, controlling the 'rim' of the valley is much simpler and straight forward....
Thanks a lot for your comments!
Lemo
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1147.8 In reply to 1147.7 
Nurbs are tricky things isn't it? :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1147.9 In reply to 1147.7 
You're welcome Lemo!

There can be many situations where it can be easier (and produce more reliable geometry), to kind of imagine a larger extended surface that gets trimmed back to make your final shape, rather than trying to create a surface only by following outline curves.

If your outline curves have a very natural 4-sided type layout, then surfacing them directly is fine, but otherwise building extended and trimmed back can be better.

Here's another example from a recent thread: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1127.4

In that case it helped to build a single larger slightly curved surface as the cap of the object which then gets trimmed, rather than trying to sweep using the existing outline curves which came to a kind of difficult corner which caused a sort of bunching and overlapping of the surface when trying to sweep.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All