SpaceNavigator Support

Next
Hello all!

New to the forums. Just wanted to say I'm really digging the software. MOI and Artrage (another fave of mine) are two shining examples of how to make really useful tablet PC (and tablet centric) graphics apps. I can't wait to see how far you can take MOI as it matures.

...now to my grieving and griping!

I can't seem to get the spacenavigator to perform the way it does in Maya/Max, etc. In fact its only barely controllable even after spending an hour playing with the settings and trying to retrain myself...

I've toggled back and forth between MOI and Max several times, so it is not my driver installation or system defaults.

Is there something I am missing or is the SpaceNavigator support not fully implemented yet?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1142.2 In reply to 1142.1 
Hi gamdev,

> Is there something I am missing or is the SpaceNavigator support
> not fully implemented yet?

No, it's all been finished up for a few months now... Until now I haven't heard of it misbehaving.

I've only got an old version of Maya here, but it looks like some actions are reversed from MoI.

To adjust this, in MoI go to Options / View / Rotate/Pan/Zoom options. Then the SpaceNavigator controls are on the right-hand column, under the "3Dconnexion options" heading.

It looks like you should set a checkmark on "Reverse rotation", and "Reverse pan" - make sure you're getting the controls on that right-side column under 3Dconnexion.

Does that help?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1142.3 In reply to 1142.2 
I took your advice - but also checked off "swap twist and tilt." I also reduced the scale of pan speed and zoom speed to 0.5.

Feels very familiar now.

However, if you are polar orbiting an object and pass under the ground plane so that you are looking at your object upside down, the twist controls invert... Perhaps intermittently... A right-twist will sometimes twist you to the left.

This behaviour does not occur in 3DSMax.

I will try to confirm this 100%.

;-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1142.4 In reply to 1142.3 
Hi gamedev, I'm glad that feels more familiar now.

re: upside down - there is a kind of natural reversal that happens when you flip upside down. Imagine if you took a clock and set it flat on a table and watch the direction that the clock hands are moving. If you flip the clock upside down, it would appear from your same view that the hands are moving in the reverse direction.

That's basically what happens in MoI when you flip upside down.

It would be possible to reverse things when you flip upside down, but that will mean a kind of sudden shift in direction when you cross over the top pole.

What happens in 3DSMax if you use the SpaceNavigator to twist in 2 directions at the same time, like moving with some left-right and also up-down rotation all at once - do you see a kind of bounce when you cross over to being upside down?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All