Can dimensions be displayed?

Next
Hi,
My first post. I scanned the previous posts and didn't notice anything that asked this question so hopefully this isn't a repeat. I've no background in 3D although I've used Illustrator a lot. I'm looking for the easiest possible 3D learning curve but also, I hope to be able to show dimensions if possible as most of the things I expect to deal with will not freeform - mechanical device prototypes rather than jewelry for example.
Thanks much,
- Gerry
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
1134.2 In reply to 1134.1 
Hi Gerry - it is possible to enter accurate dimensions when you are drawing things.

Like for example if you want a rectangle of a specific width and height, you can enter those dimensions in the Width: and Height: options that show up in the options area in the upper-right corner of the screen.

Also when you are entering points like when you are drawing a line, you can enter specific x,y,z coordinates, and you can also enter a distance for the second point of a line or angle using the controls in the bottom toolbar (just to the right of the Split / 3D / Top / Front / Right view control tabs).

But for version 1.0 there is not any option to draw dimension annotations like you would see in a blueprint (with a number and some arrows pointing out from it). That is definitely something that I would like to add in the next version though.

However, they will mostly be used as a kind of annotation or labeling system, not really as a way to control objects.

Some other CAD systems do use those kinds of on-screen dimensions to control objects (like a constraint-based CAD system) - MoI is not really intended to work in that exact same way. If you need to specify and change a lot of constraints like that, you will probably be better off in one of those systems that is designed more specifically for that kind of operation like SolidWorks, Alibre, Pro/E, etc...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All