New six-legged pod video tutorial available.

Next
Another new video tutorial is available. The 2 previous videos are available here and here.

Length: 17.5 minutes, Size: 21 MB.

You can download it, or watch it below.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Very clear and show some functions of construction :)
Power of Helpers too !
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1096.3 In reply to 1096.2 
Michael, Thank`s for the tutorial.

But I am sorry, I think for the next tutorial it will be better if you can give me / us a real case tutorial. I mean like :
1. Consumer Product Tutorial
2. Furniture
3. Mechanical Part and Assembly, etc

Rather than an "uncertain" model. I don`t want to say your current tutorial is bad. I just thinking for the next tutorial.
Maybe Pilou or another forum member can give you an idea about the "certain" model.

Another thing, I think you must give me / us a tutorial - demo that explain to me / us *** we can create a model or assembly in MoI with accurate dimension ***.
Not just a freeform model with uncertain dimension.

So we can see the TRUE POWER of MoI that will impact to the sale of MoI it`s self.

Regards,
Lish

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1096.4 In reply to 1096.3 
Maybe an object like that ? :) But now you must find a "blueprint" of that!
---
Pilou
My Gallery

EDITED: 7 Nov 2007 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1096.5 In reply to 1096.4 
Hi Pilou, yes...Can be one of the Mechanical Part & Assy choice.....

Below are for the furniture :

Then for Consumer Product :

Regards,
Lish

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi all,

As MoI's interface is so elegantly designed and its tools so easy to understand, I think that basic tutorials with regular geometric objects are not really needed.

On the contrary, what would be really useful (especially if one is only used to polygons programs), are tutorials which would show the making of a real object, from A to Z, without skipping any steps, to learn how to planify and to finish a complete NURBS model.

This is also the problem of most software manuals: they are usually just commenting the tools, with loads of useless or obvious blabla ("the move tool is used to move" etc...), instead of showing the tools in action, by making and finishing a complete project. The other big problem is when a tutorial is made by a very proficient guy, who just skips the steps which are evident to him, but which let the noob in the dark and stop him to progress further.

I insist also on the fact that a complete tutorial is so much better than to have many little tuts, because it helps a lot to see the "big picture", instead of learning like trying to make a puzzle with tons of lonely informations.

For me, the best example of the way a tut should be done is the Polikarpov I-16 tutorial, made by a simple but very teaching-able XSI user:

http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=29;action=display;threadid=29275

All steps are, in this tut, perfectly described, from the blueprints setting to the details modeling of the aircraft. With also many informations, seen "live", on how to planify a poly model.

So, to say the truth, what would be really useful, at least for me, would be a Polikarpov I-16 NURBS model tut made with MoI :-)))
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
So, if someone is interested in, the I-16 blueprints are here ;-)

http://rapidshare.com/files/68136676/I-16_blueprints.rar.html
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1096.8 In reply to 1096.3 
Hi Lish, thanks for your feedback on the tutorials!

I agree that some more mechanical or "hard dimension" driven objects would definitely be a good addition.

But in most cases creating things to a specific given dimension just means entering some specific numbers at different stages.

For example creating a rectangle to a specific width and height dimension just means entering those numbers as the width and height when you create the rectangle, rather than just picking freeform with the mouse... Creating a fillet of a specific radius means just typing in the radius you want... It's really pretty straight-forward.

One problem with the kind of models that you are asking about like Consumer products or furniture, is that a tutorial on those can be quite a bit longer than on the more simple shapes that I have done so far. The longer a tutorial is, the greater amount of time and effort it takes for me to create it.

At this point I am planning on having these 3 tutorials as the ones for the initial 1.0 release. I just can't really spend too much more time on tutorials at the moment, but I should hopefully be able to add additional ones later on.

The current ones are intended to just cover the basics of how to use MoI.

Have you seen Steph's videos? They kind of cover somewhat more complex and "real" objects more like you are asking about, so they may be useful for you to watch if you haven't seen them yet.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
the tut of the plane is maybe very good but the system of loading is not a model of facility ;)
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1096.10 In reply to 1096.6 
Hi Argonaute, I definitely agree that a tutorial covering the full construction of a detailed object would be valuable, especially without rushing through and skipping any steps.

I have tried really hard to not do that kind of rushing through style with these previous 3 tutorials.

The problem is that it is pretty difficult and time consuming to create tutorials in this way.

If I had another month or so to work full time just on tutorials, then that would probably be the kind of thing that I would try to produce.

But I've got to try and strike a balance with the amount of time that I spend on any one particular part of the product, including tutorials.

The current 3 tutorials cover a lot of the basics of NURBS construction like drawing curves, constructing surfaces from curves, cutting objects with booleans, and applying fillets - this should be a pretty good overall introduction to someone coming from a polygon background, because these current 3 tutorials do go through the full stages to create a basic model from scratch.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1096.11 In reply to 1096.1 
Good work, quite instructive!

I didn't know about the symmetry features of the construction lines.
And amongst other things It clears up the use of the scaling rails in sweeps a bit, a feature I didn't play around much.

Regards,

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1096.12 In reply to 1096.1 
Thanks for the great tutorial Michael. It was good to see some of the tools that I hadn't used yet in action.

Nigel
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Great tutorial. Amazing 6 legged pod.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1096.14 In reply to 1096.13 
even i dont have speakers at work i just understand everything, this is why i like this tut !

Keep on good work
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All