MoI ER : Snap line / curve

Next
Hi Michael...

Attached are 2 video about snapping.
The first video is snapping in MoI.
The second video is snapping in an another 3D software. I hope the snapping in MoI will be the second video.
Please open attached video.

BTW, how to post a video in this forum like posting a picture ?
I mean another user can directly play the video without download it like your video tutorial.

Regards,
Lish

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1089.2 In reply to 1089.1 
Hi...

I know Moi have a "construction line", but it will be more easy if moi have capability like my second video.

Regards,
Lish

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1089.3 In reply to 1089.1 
Hi Lish, like you mentioned in MoI you can use a construction line to get any of those snaps that you need.

Doing them all completely automatically works great for simple blocky mechanical shapes, but at the same time it causes problems with more freeform type designs.

Here is an example - if you have a drawing with just these 4 polygons along the left:

Doing snapping the way that you show will create all of these snapping lines:

The workspace is now very dense with snapping zones, when drawing now you would not be very free to place a point just anywhere in space that you want, almost anywhere you move your mouse will be within the influence of one of those snap lines.

That greatly interferes with drawing a more freeform type curved shape where you need to fine tune the placement of each point to get the shape you want like this:

That's why MoI is intentionally designed not to do the kind of snapping that you are showing there. Instead you can get any one of those snap lines just when you need it by using the "hold down and drag" method to create a construction line there.

For mechanical design, that kind of snapping can tend to make more sense since freeform type elements just aren't very common there.

But in many ways MoI is intended to be a kind of more general design type tool, not one that is exclusively focused just on mechanical design. That's kind of why you'll see differences between MoI and a more focused mechanical tool like SolidWorks.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1089.4 In reply to 1089.1 
Hi Lish, your other question:

> BTW, how to post a video in this forum like posting a picture ?

For this one use an <embed> tag, like this:

<embed src="http://address_of_your_video_here.wmv" width="640" height="584" autostart="0" type="application/x-mplayer2" showcontrols="1" showstatusbar="1" />

For the width, put in the width of your video, but for the height put in the height of your video plus 72 to allow room for the controls underneath it.

This won't show the first frame of the video though, to do that takes some more work, you have to grab the frame as a separate image and set it up as a background around some other stuff, let me know if you want the details on how to do that part.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All