Flattening 3d to 2d
All  1  2-7

Previous
Next
1087.2 In reply to 1087.1 
Hi D - I don't really expect for MoI to include that kind of pattern cutting calculation as a built-in function, it just isn't an area that I have very much experience in.

Eventually MoI will have some kind of extension system that will make it possible for other people to add stuff in, and I wouldn't be surprised if some other party might create an add-on to do that. But it will be quite a while before that will really be possible.

If the Rhino one does what you need, then I'd just suggest that you use that one. That doesn't mean that you can't use MoI - you can easily use MoI and Rhino in combination with one another since they use the same file format.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1087.3 In reply to 1087.1 
Hey D,

I don't know if this helps, but check out the JPEG and 3dm file. Let me know if this is close to what you are looking for.

You can align the planes to any direction you need.

Let me know one way or the other.

Michael T.
Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/fish317537

EDITED: 4 Nov 2010 by MICTU_UTCIM

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Some other stuff while I'm at it....

The contoured object and planar elements are hidden in the 3dm file if you need them.

Michael T.
Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/fish317537

EDITED: 4 Nov 2010 by MICTU_UTCIM

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1087.5 In reply to 1087.2 
Hello Michael

Thanks for the prompt reply, hopefully someone makes the plug in when the feature becomes available. Prefer not to go with Rhino as it is more than I need at this point.
In the mean time I did a bit more digging and found LaminaDesign for unfolding. It looks as new as MOI , hopefully just as good.

D
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1087.6 In reply to 1087.4 
Hi Mictu

Thanks for the suggestions, I was more after bending or networking a skin over a frame and then flattening it to precut the panels on a CNC machine . In particular the stitch and glue method of boat building.
Your method would be a good one if I was to build a form to make a fiberglass hull. ( but in reverse, like a bathtub)

Thanks for the ideas.

D
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1087.7 In reply to 1087.5 
Hi D - LaminaDesign does look very interesting. If you end up doing a project with MoI and LaminaDesign, it would be really cool to see the results! It looks like there is a demo version of LaminaDesign available, so hopefully you can use that to see if it will work for what you need to do.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-7