Transformer stack

Next
I did this a few days ago in my first real use of MOI. Apart from a longstanding (10 yr) interest in SolidWorks and the like, I'm no 3D guru at all, and have never really had the time to get involved. Until now. I had an idea for an interesting stack of toroidial transformers and metal, and wanted to visualise the innards, so thought why not just jump in the deep end. I had this done in 15 minutes, many of the tools (eg rotate) I hadn't tried before. That's my kind of CAD!

I also created a section through the object by subtracting a big cube. This is the only thing I really need to know how to do in SolidWorks for my day job (electronics and PCB design, slice a case at the board level and export to DXF so I can design a board outline...).

I was originally attracted to MOI for its 2D features (making easy drawings for CNC work), but really impressed with its 3D capabilities, to the point where I'd say it's already up near the top of the best 3D packages. I don't use them myself, but I've seen a lot of them in my travels.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
1075.2 In reply to 1075.1 
Hi adx, that's really cool, I am glad you were up and running so quickly... 15 minutes!

Another thing you may be interested in for sectioning is the ability to boolean a solid with just a line segment (or actually any flat curve).

For example here I have a solid and I have drawn a line segment across it that divides it:

Now you can select the solid, run Construct / Boolean / Difference, and select the line segment as the cutting object. This will divide the solid into 2 pieces, you can then delete the piece you don't want:

You can also use Boolean intersection to create a sectional slice. For instance here I selected the solid, ran Construct / Boolean / Intersection, and then selected the line - this creates this slice:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All