MoI under Linux! Yes! It works! All  1  2-3

Previous
Next
Whoops!

Forgot to add:

This won't simply help Linux users, it'll broaden your market to users stuck with integrated graphics cards, laptops, etc. that don't support D3D9 - so regular windows users too!

I'm so damn excited, I hope my posts have been coherent. :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
1047.3 In reply to 1047.1 
Hi zsouthboy, I'm glad that you have it working!

But I'm not really sure that this is going to work as a fully general solution though. The problem is that the SwiftShader DLL is a software only renderer. It just isn't able to handle a larger number of polygons, particularly with a lot of alpha blending which MoI tends to use for several things.

I gave it a test over here and the speed results were not encouraging - using just a medium complex model I got 606 milliseconds per frame using SwiftShader, compared to 49ms per frame using regular hardware rendering. This is on a system with a P4 2.4Ghz, Radeon 9600 pro.

Things are significantly sluggish with the software-only rendering, even just drawing the grid with no objects in the scene at all is pretty slow.

SwiftShader is just more oriented towards being used in games that have a low polygon count.

MoI is just not designed with a low polygon count in mind, the overall design assumes that you have a graphics card that can rasterize quite a lot of alpha-blended polygons quickly...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-3