Smoothing lines on my MoI mesh

Next
I am using MoI for a while and he's a HELL of a software :-) I just love everything about MoI, but now I have question about my 3D surfaces.
Here I posted a pic of my 3D mesh render. You can clearly see lines which I want to remove from my 3D surface made in MoI.
How to make that lines on my mesh SMOOTH ? These are usually some places where my surfaces are joined (where they are connected) to each other so I have lines which make my mesh looks rough? How to solve this? Which software to use ?
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1046.2 In reply to 1046.1 
Hi Pozero, this can work in different ways depending on how your rendering software is set up.

My guess is that your program calculates smoothing by a sort of averaging process between adjacent polygons.

Probably when you exported from MoI, you had welding turned off - this means that the polygons are created in separate pieces for each surface, they are not connected into the same vertices where you see that line. The vertices may look like they are the same but they are just 2 vertices stacked up directly on top of one another, if you were to go in there and move the vertices around you would see that they are not connected and can be moved separately to open up a gap between the polygons.

Usually a polygon modeling program will have an operation called "weld" or "merge vertices" that can be used to remove those duplicate points and make those polygons share the same exact vertex - that makes then connected to one another and then smoothing should flow across them.

So try to find that "weld" or "merge" function and use that to eliminate that crease.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1046.3 In reply to 1046.2 
Hi Michael. I am not sure that I understand all that you explained to me. English isn't my mother language and I am not really familiar with how exactly works most of MoI mathematic functions and how MoI calculates surfaces joining etc...So where should I try to find "weld" and "merge" options? Inside of Poser or some other 3D modeling app? And what about software named TOPOGUN ? Can I use him in these purposes ?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1046.4 In reply to 1046.3 
> Inside of Poser or some other 3D modeling app?

Yes - it would normally be an option somewhere inside of the polygon modeling application.

Unfortunately it kind of seems like Poser has tried to simplify things to an extent where it has removed many tools that are normally present for adjusting points and polygons. So it may not have this option that you need.

Any more normal polygon modeling application will have it, like Silo, Modo, Cinema4D, Softimage XSI, LightWave, Maya, 3DS Max, etc...

If Poser is missing tools that are preventing you from creating what you want, it may be time for you to switch to one of these more sophisticated polygon modeling tools instead.

There is also an option for welding when you export from MoI, this is the "Weld vertices along edges" checkbox that shows up when you export to a polygon file from MoI (in the advanced options when you push the arrow in the lower-left corner of the dialog). You may have previously unchecked this since I think you were trying to export pieces that could be assigned different materials before.

> And what about software named TOPOGUN ? Can I use him in these purposes ?

I'm not sure, but probably yes.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All