Render of the cooking pot tutorial.
All  1-6  7-14

Previous
Next
1030.7 In reply to 1030.5 
I don't know very well this render one :)

And ok I will give your salutation to Steph :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1030.8 In reply to 1030.5 
Nice render. But 2 hours? I thought Bunkspeed was supposed to render almost instantly?

jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1030.9 In reply to 1030.1 
Edwin,

Are you using another program as a bridge between MoI and HyperShot?

I ask because I downloaded the HyperShot demo. A very nice program!

I have an object created in MoI that I want to assign two different materials - let's say a cube with face #1 in blue and face #2 in red.

I run Michael's program - SeparateOBJ.exe - to break up my object along sharp edges.

I import this object into HyperShot and attempt to assign two different materials ( I can do this fine importing a MoI object into Bryce by the way).

HyperShot gives the entire object the same material.

From the HyperShot web site:
"When importing obj and IGES files, HyperShot is currently looking at the individual materials that have been assigned, and is assigning material groups based on these. In order to have parts and assemblies broken out into their individual components when using these file formats, please ensure that all individual components have individual materials assigned to them."

Because MoI does not assign materials, it appears I can only render my object as one material.

From the HyperShot forum, a 3D Studio Max user says:
"In Max assign a separate material to each part and then in the obj exporter turn on create *.mat file with export. I've created a script that assigns a random material ID to each object with a unique name."

To Michael: If MoI material assignment is far in the future, how about an option now to assign a unique material ID to each object in SeparateOBJ.exe?

Note: Full instructions for transferring 3D Studio Max objects to HyperShot are here:
http://hypershot.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=146

I think MoI and HyperShot would make an excellent low cost 3D solution if MoI object export was addressed.

Ed

EDITED: 14 Oct 2007 by ED

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1030.10 In reply to 1030.9 
Hi Ed, I updated the SeparateOBJ program to also emit material IDs - these are "usemtl" statements in the OBJ file.

Maybe this will be enough to enable assigning different materials in HyperShot, could you please give it a try?

You can download the new SeparateOBJ program from here: http://moi3d.com/download/SeparateOBJ.zip

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1030.11 In reply to 1030.9 
> I think MoI and HyperShot would make an excellent low cost 3D solution if MoI object export was addressed.
When you say low cost :)
800 * 450 195 $
1920 * 1080 900$
more phone
cost maybe, low I don't know :) (for hobbyst of course)
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1030.12 In reply to 1030.11 
@Jonah

quote:
Nice render. But 2 hours? I thought Bunkspeed was supposed to render almost instantly?

Yes, Hypershots rendering incredibly fast, and in certain cases almost instant. When using many transparancies/caustics in a scene however, things will become slower.
The 2 hour render also had to do with the fact that i was playing the UT3 BETA at the same time :-) The final render as shown below took 32 minutes.
Still quite long for Hypershot, but maybe i could fiddle with the settings and make it faster.

@Ed

quote:
Are you using another program as a bridge between MoI and HyperShot?

If it's needed i'm using Modo or Lightwave (mostly Modo nowadays).

It all depends on the amount of materials i need and how i texture.
In teh case of the Kitchen jar i only used 6 simple materials:
- yellow liquid
- red liquid
- green liquid
- metal parts
- bottles
- ground plane

Now i could export them as an obj, import in Modo, assign all the materials (the groups actually since the final materials are build in Hypershot) export again INCLUDING the .mtl file, import into Hypershot, assign the correct materials to the groups and finally render.....phew.

OR

I save the 6 objects as mentioned above to 6 different files.
(in this case liquid1 to 3.3dm, metal.3dm, bootle.3dm and so on)
Import these objects into Hypershot (select 'merge with scene') and i have 6 objects ready to get a material.

Now this is ofocurse MUCH faster when you are using a simple scene, or better said, a scene with little materials in it. And ofcourse, if you aren't going to use Hypershots materials, you just save the ones from your modeller into a mtl file.

quote:
> I think MoI and HyperShot would make an excellent low cost 3D solution if MoI object export was addressed.
When you say low cost :)
800 * 450 195 $
1920 * 1080 900$
more phone
cost maybe, low I don't know :) (for hobbyst of course)

I think they should release an 'in-between version' because the maximum resolutions are too far apart in the existing versions.
However, i went for the 195$ version (mostly because i'm not sure whether or not Hypershot will become part of my workflow yet) and i'm using one on the many scaling tools to scale my render. There are some commercial ones which do a tremendous job and cost no more then 150 bucks).

Apart from all the above...here's my last and final render of the scene. As i said earlier, the thickness kinda disappears, but i still think the jars look 'solid' enough. Also i think the lighting is much more realistic. Let me know what you think.

**** EDITED oct 16th: Although i said i wouldn't i actually did another render. I'm using a much better floor i guess (higher res). ***

Regard,
Edwin

EDITED: 16 Oct 2007 by EDWINTSI

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1030.13 In reply to 1030.12 
Appetizing :)
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1030.14 In reply to 1030.10 
It works! Thank you Michael.

Ed

"Hi Ed, I updated the SeparateOBJ program to also emit material IDs - these are "usemtl" statements in the OBJ file.

Maybe this will be enough to enable assigning different materials in HyperShot, could you please give it a try?

You can download the new SeparateOBJ program from here: http://moi3d.com/download/SeparateOBJ.zip

- Michael"
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-14