Smoothing Polygons

Next
Is there any software I can use to ADD polygons to my 3D mesh?
Here are 3 pics of my 3D mesh tail. On the first pic, tail is in zero position and on the other 2 pics my mesh is deformed because of less of polygons.
I create 3D tail in MoI and exported with highest polygons level possible. Than I rendered it in Poser 7 (smooth polygons checked) and here are results...
How to solve this ?
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1027.2 In reply to 1027.1 
I think that you didn't model it correctly, either that or you tried to bend it in poser.

But you can just import this into blender and then add a subdivision modifier.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1027.3 In reply to 1027.2 
I used loft and sweep option to model it and than I imported file to Poser, add bones and move it...

How to use that subdivision option in Blender ?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1027.4 In reply to 1027.1 
Hi Pozero - the density slider that you used in MoI is based off of surface curvature, it will add more polygons around the curved area of the tail, but it won't really divide up flatter areas.

However, there are additional meshing controls that you can use to force MoI to create more polygons even in flatter areas.

When you save out to a mesh from MoI, in the Meshing options dialog click the small arrow in the lower-left corner to expand it to see more meshing options.

Inside there is an option "Divide larger than" - put in a distance here and MoI will further subdivide any polygon edges larger than that size. This will help to get more polygons added to your model so it will deform better. The distance you use will be dependent on the size of your mode.

There is an example and some more explanation of this meshing option in the documentation here: http://moi3d.com/beta/moi_command_reference2.zip, look for the section "Meshing options", and the "Divide larger than" option in there.

Hope this helps!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1027.5 In reply to 1027.4 
Hi Michael...Thanks on help tips. I already use expanded Meshing Options (lower left arrow), by default, but one thing I don't know is how to use it preciseley. Here is what I use: POLYGONE DIAL (More Polygons) to maximum, OUTPUT -NGons, DISPLAY- Shaded+Edges, WELD VERTICES ALONG EDGES turned off, ANGLE- 3, DIVIDE LARGER THAN- empty, Down Arow Menu- Curved, AVOID SMALLER THAN, ASPECT RATIO LIMIT- all of them empty.

Ok, there are options I use by default. I guess I should type some numbers inside of Divide Larger Than or other two empty boxes.

Please Michael, tell me what are the best exporting options in MoI for my mesh if I want to deform it (make a character) inside of other app?
That mean that I need highest polygons model that is possible. If it is easier to you, you can post SCREENSHOT of Meshing Options set to maximum for exporting.

Thanks a lot again. All the best. MoI RULES !!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1027.6 In reply to 1027.5 
Hi Pozero,

> Ok, there are options I use by default. I guess I should type some numbers
> inside of Divide Larger Than or other two empty boxes.

I'd recommend using just the "Divide larger than", and leave the other ones alone for now.

Were you able to see the example for "Divide larger than" in the documentation here:
http://moi3d.com/beta/moi_command_reference2.zip ? It shows how it is used to create smaller polygons by breaking up any that are bigger than the distance you enter there.

> Please Michael, tell me what are the best exporting options in MoI for my mesh
> if I want to deform it (make a character) inside of other app?

There is no one single best setting for every single object, the best settings for stuff like "Divide larger than" can be different for different models, they depend on the size of your model.

If your model is for example about 10 units in size across, I would start with a value of 0.5 in that "Divide larger than" box, and then push the "Update mesh" button and see how that looks. If you want more divisions, decrease that number by halves until you get the size you want.

> That mean that I need highest polygons model that is possible.

Well, the highest amount possible might be millions and millions of them, so you probably don't want that since it would generate an extremely large file and would be very slow to work with.

Just start with 0.5 in that "Divide larger than" box, and if you want fewer polygons increase that number, and if you want more polygons, decrease that number in stages, like try 0.5, 0.3, 0.1, etc...

If you are still stuck, please post your .3dm file - if I can check out your actual model file it would help me to recommend some good settings for your particular model.

Hope this helps!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All