MoI under wine?

Next
I would love to be able to run this under wine or VirtualBox, but the display wont work.... Any change of making a OpenGL an option? A native linux binary would be even more awesome!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1008.2 In reply to 1008.1 
I would like to make an option for OpenGL in the future, it would also help to make MoI run on the Mac using Parallels as well.

But it will be quite a while before I will be able to work on that.

Are you able to run everything else except the display under Wine? MoI also uses some COM inter-process communication stuff when running commands, and also relies pretty heavily on the IE display engine for a lot of its UI. Do these parts seem to be running ok under Wine? I mean if you click the Line button does it appear that the line command starts up with a prompt in the upper-right corner of the screen and everything, just the display doesn't work?

Are you using Wine with the option to use the real Windows DLLs or the emulated Wine ones?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1008.3 In reply to 1008.2 
Michael,
Not sure - will it work one way and not the other? And how do I check?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1008.4 In reply to 1008.3 
Hi Phr0stByte, well I wasn't sure if you mean you had already tried running it under WINE and you saw that everything worked except the display, or if you were just guessing that the display would be the only problem.

I think that there are several other parts of MoI that probably also won't work under WINE, not just the display.

But if I remember right, there is an option in WINE to use actual Windows DLLs when it runs - that might have a greater possibility of working.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1008.5 In reply to 1008.4 
Michael,
Actually, it does not work in wine at all - sorry for the confusion. I tried it in VirtualBox though (similar to vmWare), and it installed and started fine - it just had a problem with direct3d, so you cant see anything in the four viewport windows - everything else seemed fine though. 3d Studio Max has exactly the same behaviour, but if you go into the settings and tell it to use OpenGL, everything is superb.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1008.6 In reply to 1008.5 
I see... I'm not really familiar with VirtualBox, do you know if it will pass through OpenGL commands to the native operating system so that hardware accelerated video is possible?

Otherwise you may be getting only software rendering with OpenGL...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1008.7 In reply to 1008.2 
I can confirm that the reason MoI doesn't work under wine is it's heavy reliance of some IE specific stuff - D3D isn't the problem :)

Using the "fake IE" install doesn't fix that.

RE: OpenGL under virtualbox/vmware/etc - at this point, SOME OGL commands can be passed to the underlying OS for a few of them - otherwise, it's software rendering all the way (which... actually doesn't bother me, if MoI would allow it - I'd deal with the low frame rate to use my beloved MoI under Linux)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1008.8 In reply to 1008.7 
Yep - Same here. Would not mind software rendering at all.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All