Rhino & MoI Render Mesh Problems
All  1  2-8

Previous
Next
3722.2 In reply to 3722.1 
Hi Colin, the problem is that is a kind of unusual surface - your friend did not build it as a smooth surface, instead it is a single large degree 1 surface which means that even though it is a single surface it has a lot of sharp internal creases in it. Degree = 1 means that there is a straight line between each control point of the surface rather than there being a smooth curve between control points which is the more typical Degree = 3 case.

In normal usage, only a simple plane surface will have degree = 1.

MoI will take surfaces with internal creases like that and split them up, and the problem in this case appears to be in that splitting process, something involving the trimming boundaries is not getting split up properly, resulting in some pieces with an invalid trimming boundary. Invalid trimming boundaries can cause these kinds of meshing artifacts.

If he can get it to be split up in Rhino first and then export that to MoI it will probably solve the problem. One way to do that would be in Rhino run the ConvertToBeziers command on this surface, and then select all the little fragments and run Join on those to form a joined polysurface object rather than a "single surface with internal creases" type object.

Once you have it as a polysurface then bringing that into MoI will likely not have any issues.

The initial meshing problem in Rhino could also be related to this particular unusual surface construction of having a degree 1 surface with many points in it, making a creased surface.

Hope this helps,

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3722.3 In reply to 3722.1 
Hi Colin, also just in case I didn't answer the exact question:

> and how can you change the Render Mesh settings like he can in Rhino?"

The problem in MoI is actually a surface-splitting problem and not a render-meshing problem. The render mesh only looks weird because the surface crease splitter did not produce proper output from the creased degree 1 surface.

If you can get this surface split up before you bring it into MoI then it should show with a proper render mesh.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3722.4 In reply to 3722.3 
Hi Michael,

It may be that I not getting this, when I bring this into MoI I'm getting the same thing that Colin shows and what I did was separate the joined surface and selected one of the repeated pockets which has nine smaller surfaces and deleted the the rest with the offending surfaces, then re-arrayed and joined everything back again.
Is this the same thing ?

Cheers
Danny

EDITED: 18 Aug 2010 by DANTAS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
In Rhino- when pulling points, the render mesh does not update on the fly. You can force an update using the command RefreshShade. Also you can split creases in Rhino using the command DivideAlongCreases. Then copy/paste to Moi will have no issues...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3722.6 In reply to 3722.4 
Hi Danny, yeah that's another way to fix it - because it's a repeating pattern you can just throw out the bad pieces and copy some of the good parts over.

But I just wanted to describe what was going wrong with it - those bad pieces are getting created because of the original surface being a large surface that has internal creases in it, and it seems to be running into a bug in the surface splitter.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3722.7 In reply to 3722.6 
OK, understood. Thanks for the clarification

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
3722.8 In reply to 3722.3 
Hi Michael,

Thanks for those explanations, I'll let my friend know.

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-8