Top 5 Features list for V3 !
 1-9  …  270-289  290-309  310-329  330-349  350-369  …  430-442

Previous
Next
@Michael
Cool new script: a golden one! ;)
Seems
For a line find 2 golden points: cool
For curve find only one out of the curve (when it find ;)

@Lejan
About Sketchup for all that curves: Loft, NetWork, Surfaces...etc take the free versatile Fredo6's Curvy loft!
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?t=28586

EDITED: 13 May 2012 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.311 In reply to 3628.310 
Fredo6's Curvy loft

Hi Pilou,

thanks for the help with SketchUp, but this program and I are just not made for each other... ;)

The graphics in a modern 3D modeling program should just not remind me on my good old
Atari 600 xl, which pretty much did the same only with less colors... ;)

Jan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
< are just not made for each other
It's nevertheless the more easy 3D program that you can find :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

I use the curves and the planar command in moi3d to make virtual friskets in Artrage.
It would be helpfull if i could see the Artrage canvas through the Moi3d viewport.
When i have finished the job in Moi,then i use copy-paste to place the result in Artrage.

Question : Is it possible to make the viewport transparent (like a alpha channel color), but not the cuves.

I did get inspired by this application : http://www.ptc.com/product/creo/sketch/
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.314 In reply to 3628.308 
Hi Lejan,

""""""""""""""""""It seems this Rhino plug-in does a really good job in creating a NURBS model based on
polygon meshes.""""""""""

Be sure you are looking at the "standalone" version.. They dont need Rhino and are a bit cheaper.
Here is a link to the open mesh one to try:

http://www.resurf3d.com/mesh2snurbs.htm

This one works on obj closed forms:

http://www.resurf3d.com/Objmesh2solid.htm

But it will be more of a "fitting" than a re-creation... I didnt put enough time into the obj one to really be able to speak to it's output.. Maybe you can make the demo work well and report back!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Added ;)
http://moiscript.weebly.com/golden.html

PS About the Golden Rectangle : Snap Straight must be enable!

EDITED: 13 May 2012 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Not a list of five, but a one i discovered i needed today - Crash Recovery file ?

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.317 In reply to 3628.316 
Hi Martin,

> Not a list of five, but a one i discovered i needed today - Crash Recovery file ?

If there is a crash, a dialog will pop up that has a Save button on it which will allow you to save out the current model data to a new file - that would be the crash recovery file right there.

In certain kinds of crashes like ones relating to totally running out of memory it could be possible that the conditions that caused the crash prevent the recovery mechanism from working though. But with a more regular type of crash instead of an "out of memory" type one you should be able to get what you are asking about I think.

Also if you run into a crash there will be a crash dump file created called moi_report1.zip (or moi_report2.zip, etc...) that can contain some information about where in particular the crash happened - if one of those were generated please send those to me through e-mail at moi@moi3d.com so I can try to pinpoint and fix the bug.

If your crash is related to totally running out of memory it can prevent the crash dump report from being generated too though - generally if your crash is related to that the main fix is to avoid overloading things to the point where are close to totally exhausting memory in the first place - that might mean breaking a super huge file into some smaller files instead.

Also if you have a 3DM file where you can repeat the crash easily with a certain operation it can help a lot if you send me that model file as well, since the easiest way to debug a crash is when I can actually repeat it over here.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.318 In reply to 3628.317 
This crash is not related to MoI, something makes this pc go to BSOD whilst it is in sleep mode, and i have never managed to track it down but will build a new toy soon :) just need to get the wedding out of the way first! But whilst on this kind of subject, is there an autosave feature ?

Thanks for the reply

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.319 In reply to 3628.318 
Hi Martin,

> But whilst on this kind of subject, is there an autosave feature ?

No, not currently. Autosave can tend to be rather intrusive once you get to a fair sized model.

If your computer tends to blue screen when coming out of sleep mode, probably you should go to Control Panel > Power Options, and set it so that it does not ever go into sleep mode, you can set it to "System standby: Never" to do that I think.

Also the blue screen is probably caused by one particular buggy driver misbehaving - if you configure your system to create crash dumps on blue screens (Control panel > System > Advanced > "Startup and Recovery" settings > Write debugging information set to "Small memory dump") that could make it possible to look at the crash dump and maybe get a clue which particular driver is the culprit, then you could disable that particular one or try to update it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.320 In reply to 3628.319 
This is a 0x1A crash and says it's to do with memory, but I still can't hunt it down, but my computer also bombs our V-Ray and rhino which is a pain in the butt, however that behaviour does not BSOD, but this is the only computer that i have ever had that crash's whilst it is in actual sleep mode. I can get busy doing things for my disabled partner and the screen will go from log-on/welcome screen to "no video available" - set by my screen when the pc goes to sleep, and then sometimes you walk past and for some unknown reason the BSOD is there.

Beats me - lol

Could be dodgy RAM or maybe a core on the CPU, or possibly the graphics card and the way windows 7 now uses virtual memory with video memory, all i know is that its a pain.

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.321 In reply to 3628.320 
Hi Martin, yeah to stabilize it you've got to try and narrow down what's the bad part.

For bad RAM the best way to test it is to use memtest86 http://www.memtest.org/ (you need to set up some kind of bootable method like set up a bootable USB key or CD-ROM), and let it run for a few hours or overnight and if it detects a failure, you can be pretty certain that it's bad RAM.

If you can get a failure on memtest86 then replacing the RAM would probably be your best bet. Or if you have multiple RAM slots filled you could try removing just one of them at a time and re-run memtest86 to see which one is the bad one.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.322 In reply to 3628.309 
Hi Jan - re: golden ratio snap on a bendy curve instead of a straight line - what will happen in that case is that you'll get the ratio snap on an imaginary line between the curve's endpoints.

> If used on a an angeled line both snaps appear perfectly but interestingly the
> scrips seems to interfere with the perpendicular help-line from this point, as
> this option does not show up in activated 'golden snap' mode.

This looks like something that needs to be tuned up in the snap engine - right now it appears that a "script added" snap like this does not get processed with the same stuff as other snaps in regard to things that use other properties of the object the snap point is on.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.323 In reply to 3628.313 
Hi Paolo,

> I use the curves and the planar command in moi3d to make virtual friskets in Artrage.
> It would be helpfull if i could see the Artrage canvas through the Moi3d viewport.
> When i have finished the job in Moi,then i use copy-paste to place the result in Artrage.

You could do that by taking a snapshot of the Artrage canvas and saving it as an image file, and then bringing that image file into MoI as a background image, using the View > Image command:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference5.htm#image

> Question : Is it possible to make the viewport transparent (like a alpha channel color),
> but not the cuves.

No, there's no mechanism for making the viewport transparent in such a way as to actually expose totally separate application windows behind the MoI window - but the background image mechanism is set up so that you can place an image as the background of the viewport and have your curves drawn on top of it.

Basically the tracing mechanism in MoI is oriented towards tracing over an image, not for tracing over separate running applications. So you need to take a snapshot of your other application and put it into an image file to get what you are asking here - once it is in image form then you can use the background image mechanism for tracing over it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.324 In reply to 3628.321 
I love memtest86 - I run it on all my computers after i have built them up and they get left on that for at least 10 full cycles or even up to 24 hours. Admittedly this RAM has not been re-tested and it's now very nearly a year old. I hate trying to solve intermittent failures like this because you think you have it sorted right up to the point where it does it again.

I have been a staunch fan of AMD processors but their continuing failure to keep up with Intel is starting to sway my opinion, once the new Bulldozer II's are on the scene and have been tested i will bet in a better position to say what the new box will have inside it ? Now that I am favouring MoI over Rhino these days do you have to or intend to do any code tweaking to make MoI more responsive to AMD's single core based application problems (AMD's new processors suck on applications that do not use more than on core) or is this problem down to MicroSoft and AMD to sort out ?

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.325 In reply to 3628.324 
Hi Martin, well it sounds like you already know how to handle it!

> I hate trying to solve intermittent failures like this because you think
> you have it sorted right up to the point where it does it again.

Yeah intermittent failures are definitely the worst, and sometimes there isn't any really good way to solve them aside from one-by-one swapping components out with a new one, but of course that requires a duplicate set of all your system components to be available.

But if you can reproduce the failure while running under memtest86 that should really help to narrow it down though since it should take other stuff like the video card out of the picture and probably then more directly point to bad RAM or I suppose possibly the CPU but most likely RAM.

From what you are describing behavior wise bad/flaky RAM does sound most likely.

> I have been a staunch fan of AMD processors but their continuing failure to
> keep up with Intel is starting to sway my opinion, once the new Bulldozer II's
> are on the scene and have been tested i will bet in a better position to say
> what the new box will have inside it ?

Intel certainly does seem to be a fair ways out in front these days I guess unless you are running some kinds of server oriented stuff.

I myself have just recently built a new box with a Core i5 in it, which has a reasonable price.

There doesn't seem to be anything particularly wrong with the AMD stuff, it's just lagging behind in performance to a certain degree but certainly will certainly still work fine in general.

> Now that I am favouring MoI over Rhino these days do you have to or intend
> to do any code tweaking to make MoI more responsive to AMD's single core
> based application problems

I do intend in the future to add more things that take advantage of multiple CPU cores. But dealing with parallel execution tends to be very tricky though, and it's notoriously easy to create really difficult to nail down bugs with it, so it tends to be a particularly delicate and time consuming area of coding work.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.326 In reply to 3628.325 
Hi Michael,

> I do intend in the future to add more things that take advantage of multiple CPU cores. But dealing with parallel execution tends to be very tricky though, and it's notoriously easy to create really difficult to nail down bugs with it, so it tends to be a particularly delicate and time consuming area of coding work.

We discussed the perils before with multi-threaded apps, and yeah i understand the problems associated with them, i was just Referring to the way the new AMD chips process single core apps, I know that Microsoft had to release patches for XP onwards to handle the code better within the their OS's, I just wondered if you needed to tweak MoI to make it better suited to AMD cores, or whether it's a "guts of the OS" problem ?

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.327 In reply to 3628.326 
Hi Martin,

> I know that Microsoft had to release patches for XP onwards to handle the
> code better within the their OS's, I just wondered if you needed to tweak
> MoI to make it better suited to AMD cores, or whether it's a
> "guts of the OS" problem ?

It was a "guts of the OS" problem - something to do with adjusting the behavior of the thread scheduler that distributes threads to run on the different available CPUs.

Once the patch is in place for it, it solves the problem at the system level and so individual applications do not need to do anything extra to avoid that particular problem.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.328 In reply to 3628.314 
Hi BurrMan,

good you mentioned the 'standalone' versions, as I was only drawn towards the Rhino plug-in.
I will try out the 'closed obj forms and will give you some feedback if I could get it to work
on parallels on a mac.

Jan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.329 In reply to 3628.314 
Hi BurrMan,

the resurf 3d program crashes immediately the moment a *.obj is loaded on my installation.
I tried objects exported from MoI, Cinema 4D and Rhino yet all of them crashed the program.

The surface program instead worked fine and created pretty good results. The pricing though
is way above my need to use it.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-9  …  250-269  270-289  290-309  310-329  330-349  350-369  370-389  …  430-442