Top 5 Features list for V3 !
 1-12  …  113-132  133-152  153-172  173-192  193-212  …  433-442

Previous
Next
Circular Selection as mentioned here

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3628.1

Style editing without having to go through a three tier process, I would like to just ctrl+click the color chip or something to pull up the swatch box and select a different color
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.154 In reply to 3628.153 
Hi Grendel,

> Style editing without having to go through a three tier
> process, I would like to just ctrl+click the color chip or
> something to pull up the swatch box and select a different color

That actually works exactly like you're describing already in V2 - hold down Ctrl and click on the color swatch area of a style in the scene browser and the color picker will pop up and let you edit the color.

Also another related shortcut is if you right-click on the style line in the properties panel (the panel that shows some info on the currently selected objects), that will pop up an edit style dialog for editing that style's name and/or color without going to the full style editor dialog.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
ahhh, thanks Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
This may have come up earlier in this thread, haven't read them all...

But as a long time Solidworks user, the idea of not being able to change my mind, many steps into a process later, i.e. complete unbreakable history, still makes me twitch. ;) (What if I get something wrong, what if a requirement changes, what if, what if, what if...)

Doubtless its a tall order, but this is a "wish" list so I'm wishing.

(It's cool that at least to some level you can make real time changes profiles/curves without having to start over.)

-GregW
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.157 In reply to 3628.156 
Hi Greg,

> (What if I get something wrong, what if a requirement
> changes, what if, what if, what if...)

Well, you just delete pieces that you don't want and draw some replacement pieces...

When drawing and creating things happens very quickly it's not such a big deal to redraw particular pieces.

However having said that, I do want to add a deeper history function in the future. It's a pretty involved area so it's hard to know exactly when that will happen though.

In the meantime if having the ability to do history updates is a vitally important thing for your particular workflow, then you should probably be using some other program that puts a lot of emphasis on that type of process as its main function. Of course a kind of more cumbersome drawing and modeling process that tends to make you go through more steps is usually a part of packages that put a lot of emphasis on that kind of stuff - for MoI it is much more of a priority to have drawing and modeling feel really quick and light and not have a lot of steps and processes to go through.

But if you don't want to do quick modeling and drawing and you instead want to do more heavily planned and constrained layouts that can be tweaked with history, there are quite a lot of CAD programs out there that are focused on doing that already, like SolidWorks, SolidEdge, Alibre, Pro/E, etc.. etc... etc... MoI is actually focused on a different feel than that partly because there are already so many choices you can use for doing that style of modeling. Instead of trying to make MoI a kind of clone of programs that already handle that style of stuff I wanted to make it have a kind of different focus.

It may be a good idea for you to use MoI in combination with one of those other programs - maybe use MoI for your early process stuff where you want to draw more freely and use one of those parametric MCAD programs when you get to more nailed down designs...

But it's important to use the right tool for your particular job - if history is a major criteria for you, then MoI is probably not the right tool for the particular task that you're trying to do - it's not really a focus for MoI to be an exact drop-in replacement for a production MCAD system like SolidWorks or things like that. If you're trying to treat it like that you may be using the wrong tool for your job, kind of like trying to pound in nails with a screwdriver or something like that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I have heard, that Icem Surf, now a part of Catia, has been made meanwhile fully historical.

In my opinion a history should be more important then circular selection.

Rudl
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.159 In reply to 3628.158 
Hi Rudl,

> In my opinion a history should be more important then circular selection.

They're not really comparable though in the quantity of work involved to implement them - there is much much more work involved for history.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
And we have yet local history of a function ;)
It's not so bad!
Else you can use this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEbHjpqpL-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IspWcu_RO8U
but not sure that is the same price and same use ;)

EDITED: 29 Jul 2011 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hallo Pilou,

I know the history, and I like it´s behaviour because of it´s easyness very much.

RUdl
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.162 In reply to 3628.160 
Hi Pilou,

just checked the Creo Elements Pro page and to my surprise the fully featured Home Vers. for non-commercial use is cheaper than MoI!

http://store.ptc.com/store?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=ptc&Locale=de_DE&Env=BASE&productID=210631300

Regards
Stefan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.163 In reply to 3628.162 
I don't know if a Student version is different than a personal learning edition where you have some limitations!
Where you have just the "modeler" section and not the applications!
You can import Moi files inside as STL format ;)

Use is less fluent than Moi ;)

PS Moi has also a student version ;) http://www.studica.com/MOI3D/
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.164 In reply to 3628.163 
Hi Pilou,

yes, but a student vers. is for students only and not for hobbyist, and the Creo Student vers. is even more cheaper than the home vers. which, as understood, are full vers...;-)

Anyways, thanks for the link!

Regards
Stefan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
There's another program called Space Claim which apparently does similar after-development editing and accepts a miriad of file types. http://www.spaceclaim.com/en/default.aspx

I'd like to see these packages actually work on the sort of geometry we typically do before believing their claims. ;)

The simple truth is, when it comes to beautiful forms that can be built in MoI (or my workplace standard Solidworks) changes rarely involve the moving of a warts (this is the Industrial Designer Snob term for anything tacked onto the base form) but instead involve having to grow, shrink, stretch or otherwise readjust the initial beautiful form so that it fits the new requirements but remains both beautiful and tightly numerically controlled, and drafted etc etc. (Hence the reason that the tightly constrained Solidworks is not the best choice for the sort of free flowing surfaces MoI can handle with ease...)

I just have to look at MoI the way I do Artrage verses Illustrator. In the former you've got all the tools to accuracy too, but you just have to be willing to commit and live with it! (Fear of committment issues here.)

-Greg
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
And the other thing is that you must generally enable/disable many menus (pop up etc..) during the process ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

If he is looking for history in SpaceClaim he won't find it. I use MoI and SCE together, they make a pretty good duo.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

I would prefer a drag over selection, or maybe a lasso option before a circular one. My thinking is you would still have to be just as precise in your selection start point as with a box selection, it's not making things any faster.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.169 In reply to 3628.168 
I'm with you WSTexo.

A lasso, especially a multi-click (as apposed to click and drag) selection type would be terrific!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.170 In reply to 3628.165 
Hi Greg - SpaceClaim does have a lot of useful editing stuff in it - it's called a "direct modeler" or "history free" modeler which is a kind of different system than a history based one.

Basically instead of having a list of instructions on how the model was constructed like a history based modeler, it instead analyzes just the existing geometry and decides how to extend or rebuild pieces as needed when you pull faces around.

One thing that's really good about this system is that it works on any kind of imported file.

But it's also kind of more oriented towards editing more mechanical semi-blocky-ish type stuff - not so much for modifying swoopy flowing surfaces or things of that nature.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.171 In reply to 3628.137 
I've been wondering about the symmetry thing. I've been wondering this whole time if I was missing something obvious.

top 5
symmetry, svg, collada, "lighting options/paintingbyuvmaps/indigo plugin", goz plugin (laughing... I know, I know, not a chance)

EDITED: 3 Aug 2011 by SOUTHPAWAMI

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3628.172 In reply to 3628.171 
Southpaw,
If you use the Mirror option or flip a copy of an object with the handles, tweaking or moving the primary object will cause the mirrored effect to happen to the copy.

Symmetry as a d-sub modeler uses is really not feasible in MoI
unless 1) you were allowed to edit surface and curve points forever (there seems to be a point where an object doesn't let you see the points anymore), and also made larger concentration of points more manageable such as with a soft election or rubber band method.
..and 2) or MoI employs the use of Components or active clones where changing one changes all, including additions of objects within the component (even it those clones were "mirrored").
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-12  …  93-112  113-132  133-152  153-172  173-192  193-212  213-232  …  433-442