Helix problem?

Next
Hi Michael,

Following on from your example on how to do a screw thread, I've seem to have found a problem?
I've included the file for you to see.

I first created a Helix of 6 twists to test, but couldn't get it to sweep? (centre at X0, Y0)
I then created another the same in reverse, but it also wouldn't sweep?

I then decided to try moving the starting point for where the Profile would start & it worked??
I also tried a couple of different amount of twists & they worked??
I then redid the 6 twist, but with the start point rotated away from the Profile & now it works??

So is this just me or is this one of those "oddball" situations or a bug???

regards Colin
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1263.2 In reply to 1263.1 
Hi Colin, thanks for reporting this - it is definitely a bug with sweep.

It's triggered specifically by a 6 loop helix (or I suppose any multiple of 6 like 12, 18, 24, etc..).

What happens is the sweep is doing one phase of work checking for things at 7 different stations along the rail, like 0, 1/6, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 5/6, 1 - and it gets messed up if the profiles at all of these stations are all completely lined up with one another in one straight line.

I should be able to fix it up, but I'm kind of worried about altering the way sweep does its calculations just immediately before the v1 release. I think that to be safe (to make sure there aren't adverse side effects from changing it), I should probably wait to apply this fix a little bit later instead.

There is a workaround you can use to make sweep work for this case of a 6 / 12 / 18 / 24 loop helix: select the triangle and use Transform / Array / Curve, and then select the helix as the path curve. Set Rotation: Flat (this is the same kind of thing as Twist in sweep), and set the Item count to some number that will distribute some profiles in such a way that they are not completely lined up vertically, for example Item count = 5. That will give you this:

Now select all those 5 triangles and then do Sweep - it should now work with the profiles arranged like this, or basically with any kind of non-single-column vertically stacked arrangement.

Thanks for posting the example file! I have saved that off and put a note on my todo list to implement the fix a bit later.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1263.3 In reply to 1263.2 
Hi Michael,

Thanks for explaining that & giving us a work around.

This isn't really a big problem, it's just that at first I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work?
I agree with you that this oddity with Sweep & a certain amount of twists on a Helix can wait till after V1.
Just like with the Fillet tool, we now all know it's limitations & how to work around it in the meanwhile.

Also just for anyone else's reference, you need to create your Helix in a vertical Z position to do the Sweep.
I first made the mistake of trying to do it with the Helix in a horizontal Z & at first couldn't get the Sweep to work correctly.
I was just about to report another possible bug, but after rereading your example, I realised what I was doing wrong.

regards Colin

EDITED: 13 Jan 2008 by COLIN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All